What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Gear Side Play?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I have noticed a squeaking noise coming from my right main gear if there is a side force applied to the plane (push the plane from the side). It also occurs when turning the plane while taxing in some directions.. If I manually push the brake pad temporarily away from the rotor the squeaking stops. The noise only happens with a side force, a forward or aft push does not produce the noise.

I suspect there may be a small amount of side play with my wheel. I am thinking I need to lift the right wing to take pressure off the wheel, and then remove the wheel, check that the Brake Mount and Brake Torque Plate are secure and then tighten the axle nut tighter than before if the mounts are ok. I am using an after market spacer for the torque plate spacers so its not a geometry issue there.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Other suggestions?

I checked main and nose axial play after 5-10 hours and had to tighten nose more than mains. Tighten nuts until pre-load or friction is felt while turning then back off to nearest cotter pin hole. This should keep axial play under .010". I would prefer a little axial play over too much pre-loading.

Just an update on this for future builders. I jacked up the right wing and tightened the wheel axle and the noise didn't go away. So I investigated further and it appears the noise is the nose gear. When I put my bogy bar and move the nose left to right there is some moaning.

So I taxi'd down to Vans and had Sterling come out and take a look. He says they have some of the same noise on the factory -10. He also said it may go away as the nose wheel is used more and the inner bushing is honed a bit from use.

So in short, nothing to worry about, just some slightly embarrassing noise for now.

Back