What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Gear problems

meadeduck

Well Known Member
Are we the only ones struggling to make the !@#$% landing gear fit? We had rivet heads in the way of the bracket that holds the strut to the body and had to snip them off and put in new LP4-3's. Did I put in the rivets from the wrong direction when we were assembling the plane???? We fianlly got everything in ok. :confused:
Meade and George

Are we the only ones struggling to make the !@#$% landing gear fit? We had rivet heads in the way of the bracket that holds the strut to the body and had to snip them off and put in new LP4-3's. Did I put in the rivets from the wrong direction when we were assembling the plane???? We fianlly got everything in ok. :confused:
Meade and George

mine fit but I remember thinking "how lucky I was that they were so close!"....like surely no one planned it that way. Of course other things have not been so lucky. But to answer your question....yes they are very, very close. I'm curious if all the "wheel/tire lean" goes away with the engine/wing weight. Seems like alot.

Meade and George

I am pretty sure if you go back and look at the page where you installed those rivets, it specifies a direction that prevents the problems that you had.

Meade,

I had to grind down the shop head of the two rivets that were in the vicinity of the outboard bracket just a bt. Mine interfered just enough such that lining up the bolts was a problem.

Scott,

You would not want to insert these rivets from the other direction (nor is it specified in the plans). They are holding the aft end of the seat pan/floor in place and would not want the shop head inside the cockpit.

Last edited:
The rivets are close when you are installing the hardware and appear to be in the way, but with a little wiggling and after the bolts are installed I had no interference.

You would not want to insert these rivets from the other direction (nor is it specified in the plans). They are holding the aft end of the seat pan/floor in place and would not want the shop head inside the cockpit.

I assumed he was talking about the ones on the aft part of the bulkhead. I think it works fine without turning the fwd ones around.

Back