What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnets for Rotax Oil Filter

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I've been reading about these Aeromag filters that wrap around the oil filter and supposedly remove the very fine ferrous particles that otherwise pass through the filter and keep circulating in the oil: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/aeromag.php?clickkey=51618
I assume you'd need to safety them in place somehow, but apparently they don't affect the instruments. I'm guessing the gearbox is probably the greatest source of steel particles in a Rotax, so they might be beneficial. Does anyone here use them?

The Rotax engine has a magnetic plug right above the oil filter which is effective because it is located in the oil flow. Since the AEROMAG is located on the outside of the metal oil filter can, the majority of the magnetic lines of force are short circuited through the steel. I am not saying that the AEROMAG will not work, only that magnets immersed in the oil are more effective. Money might be better spent changing the oil and filter more frequently.
Joe Gores

Hi Robert,

Your oil system circulates about 4 gals. per minute. The filter can handle around 6 gals. per minute. All the oil flows by the magnetic plug. Checking this is just an early warning check unless you know you toasted some part and expect to find metal on the plug. Not all metal in the system are ferrous metals that are attracted to a magnet. So these metals can get by any magnet in our oil system. This is why we cut the filter and look for any and all metallic metals.
The best part is the Rotax oil filter will rarely have any metal and if you ever did see a bunch of flakes or metal dust you most likely already know you have a major issue.

If I can find my video of washing the filter I'll post it. If done this way you will see every tiny particle in the filter, but that is pretty sparse.

Thanks Roger. Just realized I wrote Aeromag `filters' in my original post, but meant to write `magnets'.

Hi Robert,

The magnets wouldn't hurt anything I just don't see any real benefit with the Rotax. If the mag plug is clean then the filter magnets will be too. Everything can't escape the mag plug and only show up in the filter except a non ferrous metal, but then the filter magnet wouldn't be of any help either.

Thanks Roger. My typo may have given the impression that I didn't understand how the Aeromags worked, but I remember playing with magnets in physics classes many years ago (just joking). :) Anyway, you and Joe have just saved me from the temptation of putting in another Spruce order with their horrendous overseas postage costs. Good advice, and much appreciated. I owe you both a beer. It's in the fridge, but you'll have to come down here to collect it! :D

EAA oil filter wash and inspection.

p.s.
You don't need a tub as big as the one in the video. Only a little bigger than the filter.

This is the best way for any oil filter. You never miss anything and every little spec shows up and as shown on the video you most likely won't really find anything.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=3735936001

Back