What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

magnetometer GMU 22

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
HOWDY ALL,
I'm considering mounting my Garmin GMU22 in the tail section on the platform between the horizontal stabilizer. There are 2 steel cables for the trim and mounting hardware for the horizontal and the vertical stabilizer that are steel. Do we see this as a potential problem? The mounting location is closer to the cables than what they recommend, which is 3 feet. The cables are about 6" on either side of the magnetometer.
Have others used this area without problems?

By the way "Stein" and his boys did a beautiful job on our panel. I will send photos when it is installed!! I'm getting closer to the end, although it has been 10 years..YIKES

Thank you again for you valued input!!

I think you will find that is indeed the standard location. It should test fine when you are complete. That is where mine has been for three years.

Most of us mounted the magnetometers on the top of the fuse to the bulkhead behind the baggage bulkhead. Stein sells a bracket you can purchase, or you can roll your own. The only issue you can run in to is if the rear shoulder harness cables get magnetized, they may need to be degaussed. As an alternate, you can replace them with Stainless Steel cable and hardware.

A couple of RV-10 owners from Sedona I talked to years ago said they had to de-gauss the rudder cables as well in order to pass the Garmin certification process. Otherwise it seemed to work fine and since Garmin no longer requires installation certification on experimental installs, you shouldn't have a problem. But because of all the other stuff going back there, like the A/C system, I decided to put mine in a wingtip, which still does not meet the Garmin recommendations for installation. Their recommendations are stringent; I think if I could get the GMU to fly formation with me about four feet outside the airframe, I might be able to comply.:rolleyes:

Back