What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto Shop in DFW area?

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I'm having occasional rough running engine problems. I've troubleshot the fuel and air systems and they're fine so my attention is now turning to the Bendix dual mag and wiring. Can someone recommend a mag shop in the area that can do a bench test of my mags and ignition leads?

The engine seems to run great until I do a long descent to an airport. Once back to about 2500 MSL it starts running rough despite being full rich, switching fuel tanks, and turning on boost pump. Fuel pressure steady at about 28 without the pump and 33 with the pump. Next time up I'll try a mag test while it is running rough.

Compressions are all at least 75/80 and the timing checked right on.

Americas

Send them to Americas Aircraft Engines 888 371 1371
They are good people.

Thanks Jay. I may do that but was hoping to bench test to find out if I have a magneto or ignition wire problem. The mags were rebuilt about 250 hours ago but the ignition wires go back to 2001. They checked out good when the mag was overhauled in late 2008 but maybe have started breaking down.

Problem found

Last night I took the advice of Mike the Mechanic (local A&P) and pulled the ignition wires and magneto cap out to do a thorough inspection. Sure enough, the insulation was worn through on one ignition lead (Cyl 3 lower plug). For some reason, at normal speed or during Mag check on the ground it was not shorting but during descent when I let the speed build up either vibration or the air flow moved the wire enough to start grounding that ignition line. I will try and determine what it was rubbing against tonight.

Thanks for the guidance on shops. I'll now explore how to repair/replace the ignition wire.

Select Aircraft Services on Lancaster Airport

Select Aircraft Services
690 Ferris Road
Lancaster, TX 75146-5581
(972) 227-9581

He can fix you up with a new lead or repair the one you have.

Very nice guy and great service.
He overhauled two mags and both wire harnesses for me. I dropped them off on a Monday morning and they were ready on that Thur morning.
Good luck,

Back