What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto retard wire

bob888

Well Known Member
I have a standard ignition switch and a slick 6393 mag on the left, which I presume has a retard breaker. There is a LR (retard) post on the back of the ignition switch. Question is where does this connect on the mag itself and what type of wire? Is shielded wire same as P leads used? Related question is whether the shielding for the P leads connects to the ground post on the switch or whether it is only connected at the mag.

Magneto Switch Retart Wire

bob888,

A magneto without an impulse coupler should be off during engine cranking. Typically the left mag will be the one with the impulse coupler and the right mag will not have an impulse coupler.

You didn't mention what part number switch you have but on a ACS A-510-2 Switch there are two (2) "GRD" terminals. The "R" terminal is jumpered to the "GRD" adjacent to the"R" terminal to provide right mag disable during cranking the engine.

The shielded "P" lead cable is basically being used as if it were two separate wires. The center conductor is one wire and the shield is the other wire. The shield (both the left and right mag "P" leads) are connected to the other "GRD" terminal on the ignition switch. The "R" terminal on the switch will have two wires, the jumper and the "P" lead center conductor from the right mag. The "L" terminal on the switch will have the "P" lead center conductor from the left mag.

At the mag the center conductor is connected to the terminal stud and the shield gets connected to the ground terminal (case) marked on the mag.

Hope this helps.
James

Magneto retard

Thanks for your help James. My main issue is what to connect the LR terminal on ignition switch. I assume there is a connection to L mag but can't find documentation.

RE: Ignition

bob888,

There is no connection to the "LR" terminal or the "BO" terminal on the switch.

Bob Nuckools has an article on his AeroElectric Connection website titled 'Magneto Switch Options" that has a schematic and describes how the switch gets connected. The website is www.aeroelectric.com but I haven't been able to access it today.

I found the article by just doing an internet search for 'magneto switch option'

James

Last edited:
bob888,

There is no connection to the "LR" terminal or the "BO" terminal on the switch.

Bob Nuckools has an article on his AeroElectric Connection website titled 'Magneto Switch Options" that has a schematic and describes how the switch gets connected. The website is www.aeroelectric.com but I haven't been able to access it today.

I found the article by just doing an internet search for 'magneto switch option'

James

There is a connection to the LR and BO terminals since this retard magneto requires a vibrator box.

It does go in the Left side magneto hole - see the right hand diagram below -

A-510-2-INSTALL-DIA.jpg

You internet search needed to include "retard breaker" as well as 'magneto switch option'... :)

A Slick Service Letter is here -

https://www.championaerospacepubs.com/docs/F-1100-SL2-96G.pdf

Last edited:
RE: Ignition Switch

Thanks Gill, I'm glad you chimed in and kept me from leading bob888 astray. I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as the retard magneto. You can learn I learn a lot hanging around on the VAF forums.

Back