What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MAG test with EGT and leaning

flyingriki

Well Known Member
Timing Question: Tried the leaning one mag at a time and was looking for the over 100° change in EGT - got none at all. What's that mean???
Am I doing it right?

Timing Question: Tried the leaning one mag at a time and was looking for the over 100° change in EGT - got none at all. What's that mean???
Am I doing it right?
If I understand your question correctly, I think you might be referring to the method of checking mags described by Mike Busch in his book ENGINES. Leaning is not done one mag at a time. Lean with both mags on (i.e BOTH) to the maximum rise in EGT plus whatever the altitude/density altitude dictates. Here at 5120 feet it is NOT full mixture. I lean at full throttle and, as I have a carburetor, lean to peak and add 50-150 degrees depending on what the engine tells me. THEN check mags at your runup RPM and there should be a rise in EGT between 50-100 degrees but the actual rise is not as important as not seeing a drop in EGT. That would warrant further investigation. Different cylinders might show different temperatures. SO: watch for falling or erratic EGT compared to what you see with both mags running. If your temperatures stay at 100 degrees, that would not be a drop in EGT. Hopefully that was your question..... :giggle:

Go down and follow IN FLIGHT FLIGHT CHECK

Back