What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag switch dimensions

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Fellow RV builders,

I am in the process of laying out my instrument panel and I don't have a mag switch (keyed start, L,R,both) in hand and I need some dimensions.

I plan on using the standard ACS (Aircraft Spruce/Vans) switch and I was hoping another builder out there could measure the case outer diameter (O.D.) and post this dimension.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
RV-7A (finishing kit)

Paul, I pulled up my old Autocad picture and I show 0.875" for the diameter of the keyhole, and 2.25" for the total width of the unit ;) Rosie

2.25 is the OD?

Paul,

Is the 2.25" the OD of the backend of the switch?

Paul

Sizes...

Pmerems said:
Paul,

Is the 2.25" the OD of the backend of the switch?

Paul

Paul.... I'm looking at a Bendix switch that ACS copied.

The 2.25 is the max dimension of the "ears" at the back of the switch.

The ears are at 45 degrees to horiz. - see pic below....

The basic body is 1.75 inches (was a previous mis-type at 1.175.. :mad: ...) diameter.

The length behind the panel is approx. 2.3 inches. The Bendix has small studs for electrical connections, IIRC the ACS one uses screws...

BDX_10-357290-1.jpg

The ACS switch appears to have the same 45 degree orientation.... but it's leaning on it's side in this pic... note the key direction in the OFF position...

ignitionswitch.jpg

Hope this helps..... gil in Tucson - just up the road... :)

Last edited:
Mag Switch Diameter?

Quick question - maybe someone on the left coast is still banging around their shop....I am doing some panel layout work, and need to know the diameter of the standard Van's/ACS ignition switch - I know it takes a 7/8" panel hole, but what is the biggest diameter behind the panel?

Don't have one handy, and can't find a drawing in my files....

Paul

Paul-

In the back it's about 2-1/4" wide at the 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions. Everywhere else it is about 1-3/4". (I measured this with it in the panel, so I could be off +/- 1/16".)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Houstin, we have measurements

Paul, I just went out and checked for you, body dia is 1 /34, =/-, and distance between the widest point on the rear plate is 2 1/4.

Measured with a scale, not the calipers, so accuracy is close enough for govnt work, as they say.

Thanks Guys!

6 minutes for an answer....I go off to take ashower and come back to two replies...that's like working in the same shop!

Paul

Last edited:
Back