What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag/close bat box!

almarsh

Well Known Member
I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT MY SLICK MAGS HAVE PULSE SENSOR ON EACH MAG TYPICALLY ONLY ONE MAG HAS THIS WHICH IS ON THE LEFT SIDE MAG ONLY (PILOT SIDE) WITH THIS COMES A 3/4" SPACER BETWEEN MAG AND ENGINE CASE, SO IN WHICH MY MAG ON LEFT SIDE IS 3/4" AFT TOWARDS BAT. BOX ON FIREWALL (RV6A) , SO EVERYONE KNOWS TO LOOK AT THIS PRIOR TO BAT INSTALL, I HAVE OPTIONS HERE AS TO MOVE BAT. BOX OUTBOARD 2" OR DOWN 1/2" OR REMOVE IMPULSE COUPLER ON THAT MAG, OR FLIP ODDESSY BATTERY ORIENTION SO AS TO HAVE THE HOLD DOWN BAR ON BATTERY TOWARDS FIREWALL, THUS REVERSES POSITIVE POST AND NEG. POST. ANY OTHER RUN INTO THIS SITUATION AND YOUR RESOLVE OR SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME .

THANKS.
ALLEN MARSHALL
[email protected]

Original location?

First I don't know if it's just me or if other people have the same problem but it is extremely hard to read posts that are all CAPITAL. I guess my mind is just not trained for it.

You could mount the battery aft of the firewall as the original 6/6a models had them. I prefer this as it gives me a foot rest, a place to push to help get out and it keeps the battery cooler.

Just a thought.

On my -6A...

...I installed the Odyssey PC680 on the front side of the firewall...just as Van calls out in the -7A option drawings.

I also have a Superior O-360 with two impulse mags. The plug wires exiting the distributor cap for the RHS mag do come close to the battery box, but there is no issue with removing / replacing the battery or the distributor.

And yes ZILIK, the all caps posting is difficult to read. It is also considered a form of enet SHOUTING!!

no more shouting!

my mag wires are to close for my comfort so with that said can anyone give any advise on either to move battery box or remove impulse coupler from right mag this would give me more clearance that i would be comfortable with but the question is more work to move battery or simply just remove coupler , if i remove coupler preffered! i think is this a big to do to take off the spacer that is required for the coupler and if so what precautions do i need to take?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Allen,

I had a chance to look at a 7A today with the engine just installed. The battery box is about where yours is locate and the top corner of the batter is about 1.5" from the aft face of the right mag.

Could be the 6A engine mount is slightly closer to the firewall and/or that .75" mag spacer is moving the mag too far aft. If it looks to close, you should move it down or to the right.

my mag wires are to close for my comfort so with that said can anyone give any advise on either to move battery box or remove impulse coupler from right mag this would give me more clearance that i would be comfortable with but the question is more work to move battery or simply just remove coupler , if i remove coupler preffered! i think is this a big to do to take off the spacer that is required for the coupler and if so what precautions do i need to take?

Thank you!

You can't remove the impulse coupler from the mag., it is a specific part number that has to have an impulse coupling mounted. You would have to get a different model (non impulse coupling) number magneto.

It is sometimes possible (though it may not help with your situation) to remove and reinstall the mag. with it indexed in a slightly different position rotationally to give a little more clearance.

Back