What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Machine lathe

444TX

Well Known Member
I am personally searching for a higher quality used toolroom lathe with some basic tooling. Does anyone know of a really nice lathe? Willing to pay good money for good equipment. Are there any builders with knowledge, information and recommendations.

No Chinese imports please. They have their place, just not in my shop.

George Meketa
Rv8, 1035 hours

Don't know where you're located--but state surplus auctions and college/university surplus auctions are often a good place to find old
American-made equipment. Usually VERY worn, but rebuildable.
I wouldn't be very optimistic about the prospects of finding such a piece in good-"ready to hold tight tolerances"-condition as it sits.

Hardinge

The Hardinge toolroom lathe is about as good as they come, and a great size for homebuilders. They aren't cheap, but thet're relatively common, so bargains do pop up from time to time. Think of it as an asset that you can sell later for at least what you paid for it.

LeBlond lathes are relatively common, conventional, and robust machines that do quite nicely as well.

Aside from that, you might consider just finding any serviceable, good-sized lathe that you can find locally. Shipping costs tend to outweigh other factors, and there are a lot of lathes out there. Just have an experienced machinist inspect the ways and screws, and you are all set.

M

Depends on what you're going to be making. Do you have a need for an expensive, precise lathe? Hardinge's are good lathes but normally they're set up with a 5C collet chuck, so your workholding choices are limited. Monarch 10EE's are nice toolroom lathes but are limited in travel.

I have a Chinese 13x40 lathe I gave $750 for, and a Emcoturn 320 CNC lathe. I put an 8" Bison 3-jaw chuck on it and have .0002" runout...which is pretty darn good especially for an import lathe. Routinely can hold .001" with it which is more than good enough for the stuff I do.

I have a South Bend lathe I purchased many years ago from a older retired tool and die maker.
The machine was built right after the war and was in very good condition.
The lathe appeared to be his baby because I was interviewed to how I would take care of the machine, like "to a good home only" with a pet.
I have to say in the years I've owned it I have not let him down.

My opinion is you can't wrong with a older US machine in good condition.
Ebay and Craig's list are a source for lathes, search South Bend, Logan, Rockwell, Monarch and Hardinge.
Because they are very heavy and difficult to ship, Craig's List may be best because you can watch your local area.

You can build a RV without a lathe but it sure is handy to square up a bushing, make a spacer or other custom parts.

You can build a RV without a lathe but it sure is handy to square up a bushing, make a spacer or other custom parts.

I love my lathe and use it quite often working on my -10. Its an old tired machine but can keep a close tolerance.

I have been lurking at auctions, Craigs List, E-bay and forums for years. Have also seriously considered Grizzly, Bermingham, Smithy, etc. Finding a good deal on a used lathe is either luck or obsession. Many years of looking has me giving up on these routes and I know I will regret the imports.

I have considered projects, but want a lathe to build projects not a project lathe. Cosmetics are of little concern, just a good machine.

A Monarch, Rockwell, Smart & Brown or similar quality are my desire. Am willing to ship or travel long distance for the right machine. There are machines out there somewhere. Hopefully someone here knows someone there who has the right machine.

I realize I do not need a lathe to build an RV. I just want a lathe that is as nice to use as my RV-8 is to fly. All machines are not the same.

George Meketa

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/

Lots of good info in this forum about machine tools.

You haven't been specific about what it is that you want to do with the lathe. For the vast majority of home shop users, and old South Bend is more than adequate. They made 'em by the 10s of thousands and they are readily available on ebay and craigslist. The old saying, "they don't build 'em like they used to" is no where more applicable than old machine tools.

As a data point, I have a '46 South Bend 9X48 that I bought for $850. This is the 9A with the quick change gear box. It is more than adequate for my purposes. I'd sometimes get the urge to trade up to a Heavy 10 with a 1.5 spindle, but with a steady rest I can get by with the 3/4 spindle. I just did some turning today on a 2 foot piece with no problem.

76348_1595199052165_1601637206_31464167_4982258_n.jpg

Last edited:
We have an extra Hardinge tool room lathe that is really, really, REALLY nice. Digital readout, plenty of tooling. Give me a call if you are interested. It is in Iowa, but we bought it from NY so shipping does not seem to be a problem.

Back