What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MAC Trim Servo failure - and repair (and Lessons learned the easy way)

n144sh

Well Known Member
A couple of weekends ago I flew my RV-4 back from Sunriver to Hillsboro with my 17 year old son (175 lbs) in the back. Naturally the elevator trim setting was quite different than where it is for 90% of my flights that are solo. Last weekend I went out to do some flying and check out the homebrew AOA probe for the Dynon D10 I had just installed - solo of course.

Mistake #1: Inadequate preflight - such a high percentage of my flights are solo and I didn't use a checklist that I failed to check/set the elevator trim. On climbout the nose is noticeably heavy from the trim being set for the 175lb in the back on the previous flight. No biggie of course, just hit the trim button on the stick..... No response. Hmmm.... must have blown a fuse, that hasn't happened before. OK, lets deal with this in a minute, its not an emergency just an inconvenience.

Level off at 3K AGL, at slow cruise speeds it takes a surprising amount of force pulling back to maintain level flight. Check the fuses, none blown. I forget that the trim is connected to a separate circuit breaker I had placed in a position where I could shut it off in case of runaway trim. Not in sight, but just under the main panel on the RV-4 is a cross member where I had it mounted easily accessible in flight. Mistake #2: Inadequate systems familiarity (even though I built the thing!).

Land normally and taxi back. Tach time 0.3Hrs

Ok, enough confessions & mistakes. Trim servo failed - ground debugging shows that if I reset the circuit breaker I can run nose down trim, but if I try to run nose up trim it blows immediately. Checking the current - nose down trim is a few hundred mA, nose up trim is >10AMPS!

Take out the trim servo, disassemble on the bench looks like this: (Sorry for the poor quality Iphone pics:)
seyryx.jpg

A little more work yields this, be careful - lots of little parts to fall out or damage:
2laat80.jpg

Checking with an ohm meter, one of the two diodes shown is dead shorted. A trip to Radio Shack - buy two 1N4001 for $0.99, replace both just because and it looks like this:
b9g844.jpg

Re-assemble everything and bench test. Works great. Install, go flying and test (after a thorough preflight!). Voila, problem solved, total expense $0.99 and about 1 hour labor.

Lessons learned:
1) Preflight
2) Systems familiarity

I found that I had become too familiar and used to flying solo and had skipped a checklist that would have identified the trim failure on the ground. In this case it was no big deal. Secondly, after 8 years of flying my RV-4, even though I built it - its easy to forget systems and is worthwhile to re-familiarize oneself with where things are. In this case, resetting the 1A circuit breaker wouldn't have helped anyway - and arguably it would be better to get on the ground and debug rather than try to do so in the air and risk (however small) an overload condition and burning up wiring.

Steve
N144SH
RV-4

Thanks

You probably saved a lot of people a lot of money!!!! Isn't it interesting that a motor that probably cost $3 and a few gears can go for nearly $300!!!.

Thanks for the information. I just put it in my RV file!!

3,300 hrs on mine

mine went south with 3,300 hrs on it. i bit the dust and bought new. it failed in the full trimed in position which made it near impossible to fly at cruize speed. i found this out on a shake down flight the day before a 7 hr flight. how many hrs on your unit? mine was new in 1998.

Hi Ed,

Mine was new in about '89 I think? It didn't fly until 2001 and had about 500 hours of service time before failure. (Yes I was a SLOW build....)

I thought about just buying a new one - but when I opened it up everything looked very clean and no obvious wear so decided to try to fix it.

Best regards,
Steve

In this case, resetting the 1A circuit breaker wouldn't have helped anyway - and arguably it would be better to get on the ground and debug rather than try to do so in the air and risk (however small) an overload condition and burning up wiring.

it failed in the full trimed in position which made it near impossible to fly at cruize speed.

In retrospect would you still bother with a circuit breaker / kill switch install to stop runaway trim? Could you stop runaway trim in time for it to matter?

Isn't it interesting that a motor that probably cost $3 and a few gears can go for nearly $300!!!.

Volume, Volume, Volume. They need to re-coup devlopment and tooling cost over a limited production run. We need them to supply these for campers or boats (or toys) to drive the volume up and our price down. Aerospace needs to push commercial-off-the-shelf. Unfortunatly the FAA gets involved so it will never happen on certified planes. Great thing about experiementals is that you can go to the aviation deptment at Lowe's (or Radio Shack) to get parts.

I'm just going through a servo not working as well. Is there any way to get those pics in the first post reloaded? It says they are no longer available. The part that makes my particular job awful is the fellow who built this plane built the servo into the elevator then skinned the elevator so it all has to be opened up for removal. It would have been just fantastic if he would have followed the plans. No simple one hour job for me. Uggh

Thank you

Back