What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming part number confusion

pmnewlon

Well Known Member
What I have:
- O320-B2B narrow deck engine
- 122 tooth starter ring gear
- Starter ring gear assembly LW11380 which has two v-belt grooves

What I need:
- Starter ring gear assembly with 122 teeth and a single belt groove

What the Lycoming parts catalog says I need:
- Starter ring gear support assy 68867, superceded by 74414
- Starter ring gear 60882

I called Preferred Air Parts, they said unless I can come up with an assembly number such as the one that I have, they can't help me with a part. Telling them I need 'an O320 flywheel/ring gear assembly with 122 tooth gear and a single belt groove' won't work.

Anyone know how to take the two part numbers from the catalog, run them through a Lycoming formula, and come out with an assembly number that I can ask for? Anyone with a narrow deck O320 have an assembly number to share?

Thanks! Phil

What is the diameter of the pulley and what width groove in the pulley do you have/need?
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

What is the diameter of the pulley and what width groove in the pulley do you have/need?
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

My pulley diameter is 9 3/4, not certain what the belt width is; I will have to check it tonight when I am at the hangar.

The assembly P/N for a course tooth starter for a 320 would be a 76944. I don't recall there being a course tooth set up for a 360.
For a fine tooth starter the 360 the assembly P/N you want would be LW-16471. For a 320 the assembly P/N would be 76628 for a fine tooth starter
Good Luck,
Mahlon

The assembly P/N for a course tooth starter for a 320 would be a 76944. I don't recall there being a course tooth set up for a 360.
For a fine tooth starter the 360 the assembly P/N you want would be LW-16471. For a 320 the assembly P/N would be 76628 for a fine tooth starter
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Thanks Mahlon - Jesse from Aero called me with this information about three hours after I ordered one from Air-Tec in Florida. Hoping it fits!

Air-Tec - Thumbs down

Air-Tec in Mims Florida? You might be okay on a starter ring. I made the mistake of buying an engine core from there. I ended up having to replace the cracked case when I sent it out to be serviced.

Back