What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming crankshaft sludge tube??

RetiredRacer

Well Known Member
I?m in the process of prepare a 0-235 crankshaft for service and the overhaul manual make reference to removing the sludge tube ( I assume for proper cleaning ) and replacing them using drift P/N 64548.Setting them to installed depths detailed in the manual.

This is well understood, after checking out the oil paths though the crank I can see why the factory have included this procedure. The problem I have is when going thought the parts manual P/N PC-302 I cannot locate the tubes or P/N for the tubes.

Can anyone help me with the P/N for the tubes or suggest where I may find it.

Thanks

Bob'nRobyn
Brisbane, Australia

P/N is 61196.
They switched over to non sludge tube cranks in the Mid 60's. So you may have a shaft that doesn't incorporate them.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

what about cleaning the crankshaft sludge from the "pop" cap on an in-service O-235?

I was told by a seemingly knowledgeable individual (at one of the aftermarket oil filter adapter manufacturers) that I should pop the end cap out of the end of my crankshaft (O-235-L2C) every so often and scrape the sludge out?

Has anyone else heard of that or done this procedure?

I did not think that the O-235 had passages for constant speed prop.

Dave

makes sense to me.

I was told by a seemingly knowledgeable individual (at one of the aftermarket oil filter adapter manufacturers) that I should pop the end cap out of the end of my crankshaft (O-235-L2C) every so often and scrape the sludge out?

Has anyone else heard of that or done this procedure?

I did not think that the O-235 had passages for constant speed prop.

Dave

Yes. The inside of my 0-320 crank has remarkable similarities to the bowl of a decanter centrifuge, a common device for capturing solids. I'd think this area should occasionally be cleaned out, especially if you have no oil filter. I wrote about cleaning mine out and what I saw here.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=50657&highlight=centrifuge

Back