What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming 12 year TBO

Carbin

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I'm looking at puchasing an rv-4. It has an AEIO-360 (180hp) that was last overhauled in 1998. There are about 375 hours on the engine SMOH. It's low time, but about to run into Lycoming's 12 calendar year recommended TBO. How big of a deal is this really? I know some people run their engines way past the calendar year TBO, but do I really want to pay full price for a low time, 12 year old engine? Any thoughts?

Hi all,

I'm looking at puchasing an rv-4. It has an AEIO-360 (180hp) that was last overhauled in 1998. There are about 375 hours on the engine SMOH. It's low time, but about to run into Lycoming's 12 calendar year recommended TBO. How big of a deal is this really? I know some people run their engines way past the calendar year TBO, but do I really want to pay full price for a low time, 12 year old engine? Any thoughts?

These are recommended TBO's, not required. My O-290 was last overhauled in 1959 and put in storage. When I got it home, I pulled the cylinders, inspected it, and replaced all the seals and went flying.

This doesn't mean that engine is fine. You want to check for rust on the inside.

As they say, "you pays your money and takes your chances."

12 years

You have a barganing chip. Bill is correct in his quote..."you take your chances". The pilots who's planes go TBO use the engine often, at least 150 hours a year and this needs to include 4 oil changes as Lycoming also recommends changing it every 3 months or 50 hours which ever comes first. I personally discount an engine when looking for time and hours. It comes down to corrosion and seals that become brittle. Nothing lasts forever and inactivity is a killer. If the owner changed the oil more often by the calander rather than the hour meter you may have a shot. I would perform a compression check and oil analysis and then decide if the price reflects a new engine. The airframe is in great shape but the engine is assumed to be at 2000 hours.
Make a deal.
Tad

TBO

I see that you're in Lost Wages but I don't know where the plane has been the last 12 years.

Technically you have a run out engine and your offer should reflect that.

If, by chance it has been in the desert all that time, you could be a winner. I would have a mechanic pull a couple of cyls. to check for rust on the cam and followers. Then borescope the cyls. If all is clean then you could up your offer by XX amount.

Otherwise, "you pays your money and you takes your chances".

Thanks, for the responses guys! I can see how if I already had the engine, getting it inspected would give me piece of mind. But I don't think I want to throw down money for an iffy engine even if it is a good deal, not when there are so many other choices out there.

I just came across this thread while searching for the 12 year deal. I have an opportunity to buy a factory new Lycoming IO-360 B1E that has been on a pallet and wrapped in plastic. Never run, never pickled. Problem is, it was delivered in 1993. The guy wants $22k for the engine. I feel I should have a tear down completed on the engine. Should this engine be considered a run out core now that 17 years (with no oil) is on the engine?

I would definitely consider it a run out core. Why even consider an engine that's been stored for 17 years without being pickled when you can buy a new engine with a new warranty for essentially the same price from Aerosport Power or Mattituck?

Scrap parts unless he wants to 100% guarantee everything... 20% deposit, 100% refundable if the engine can not be cleaned, with all components tags yellow. With AD's, that propbably will not happen.

The AEIO has a 1600 or 12 years not 2000. Also note 5 on the Lyc time in service letter states aerobatic engine limits are considered maximum and it is up to the operator to set a lower limit.

This person selling the engine would do more justice for himself having the engine taken down and inspected, re-assembled and could bring a good price for the engine... with docs and tags.

The IO360B1E is a rear facing induction....

You will more than likely have to change the induction to forward facing. $1200 for a new fwd facing cold air induction sump.. Or, you could shop around for a used sump (vertical or horizontal)...

You will more than likely have to change the induction to forward facing. $1200 for a new fwd facing cold air induction sump.. Or, you could shop around for a used sump (vertical or horizontal)...

Where can you find a forward facing sump for $1200? Two years ago the lowest cost I could find was $1500.

I guess its the difference between retail and wholesale...

I bought the cold air induction sump through an IA/broker who ordered it from Superior.. two years ago - $1200. And then you sell yours for $400 or so to lower the cost more. Its sitting on my IO360B1E now waiting for me to finish my 6A. :)

I'm building a Glasair, and the B1E is the engine of choice. No plastic airplane jokes, please...I've already got **** from the RV community locally for building a Glasair after having 2 RV's :)

I just came across this thread while searching for the 12 year deal. I have an opportunity to buy a factory new Lycoming IO-360 B1E that has been on a pallet and wrapped in plastic. Never run, never pickled. Problem is, it was delivered in 1993. The guy wants $22k for the engine. I feel I should have a tear down completed on the engine. Should this engine be considered a run out core now that 17 years (with no oil) is on the engine?

Like W C Fields said a long time ago, there's a sucker born every day. This guy is looking for one.

That engine could be ton of trouble and for sure there are some AD's on it.

Nah, actually I think he was the sucker...He's an older gentlemen who purchased this kit second (or third) hand a year ago and his health keeps him from building. I don't think he knew what he had honestly.

I would also consider a 12 year old engine with ~400 hours run out. I know this is anecdotal but I recently had to split the case of our O-320-D3G in our Cherokee because of really bad spalling on the tappet bodies and cam lobes. The engine was rebuilt by pennyann in 2000 and it had 1200 hours. I suspect the issue was the previous owner only flew for 6 hours the year before we bought it and he lived in the great lakes area. I would be very weary of engines that are not properly pickled or run for at least a couple of hours (continuous) more that once a month. I learned my lesson. I think :confused:

Back