What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LYC 540 Engine list

Wesael

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a list of the specific (I)O-540 engines that will work with vans engine mount and nose gear included in the FWF kit?

I am looking for a core to rebuild.

IO540D4A5

With the prices of an XIO540D4A5 from Vans with a Hartzel prop is it really worth the trouble?

And while you are at it get the Turbo injector kit from Airflow Performance and tune the injectors.....lots to be gained from that! :)

DB:cool:

IO540D4A5

With the prices of an XIO540D4A5 from Vans with a Hartzel prop is it really worth the trouble?

And while you are at it get the Turbo injector kit from Airflow Performance and tune the injectors.....lots to be gained from that! :)

That's what I did....... It's the least expensive option for a new engine at the moment.

It took some coordination, but I was able to get AFP injection on the Van's OEM engine from Lycoming.

There was one Van's employee that said no way could they accomodate that request. You get one guess to figure out who that was. But fortunately, there are others at Van's that are more customer service orientated. Lycoming is more than willing to provide the AFP injection at the same price as the Bendix, just like they do with the Thunderbolt series.

PM or Email me if you want the contact information of the folks that made this happen.

Now the downside is that my engine that was ordered early in September is suppose to ship this Friday. I don't know if that is due to my changes or just the queue length at Lycoming at the moment.

Bob

Thats a great idea, if only I had done that from the start it would have saved me around $1000:eek:

Bill, the turbo injector rails allow you to get the injectors tuned or matched so that the engine runs efficiently and will run LOP.

The problem you have with standard injectors under the Vans Cowl is the static air pressure varies a fair bit and is quite a bit lower than the ram air effect the intake system generates.

This then means the small bleed holes that are meant to suck in air to help atomisation are actually losing fuel or just not getting atomised right.

My suggestion is if Bob has ordered his that way from Vans/Lyc with the AFP gear installed you shold do the same also.

If you do not fully understand why, here is some bed time reading for you.

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182179-1.html

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182176-1.html

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182583-1.html

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/183094-1.html

I suggest you print these off and make a book out of them as you will nead to read this stuff over and over again until you understand it.

I read them again at times just for the refresher, I just did the last one again now and picked up something! :)

My Engine

I have an IO-540-N1A5 mounted on mine.
Stiffer crank and heavier 5th and 6th dampers.
Other than that it is the same as the D4A5.

Thanks for the info on the fuel injection. I will take a look at it. I have read many folks who are running LOP my assumption being they do not have the injectors with the external pressure sense.

Yes plenty of RV's run LOP and mostly they get better results with the turbo injector system. It makes balancing the injestors a lot easier and more accurate when they all get the same static pressure as each other and that of the intake system. Just as you would have in a T/C engine at altitude yet still developing 30"MP.

If you want to talk about it more give me an email or PM with your skype address and we can communicate that way. It might be easier to explain it.

I would also recomend the APS seminars, you guys are lucky its in your country, they are half a world away from us! :p

Cheers

DB

Turbo injectors on a non turbocharged Lycoming is at best a waste of money and if actually needed an indication that something is wrong with engine external pressures. New stock Lycoming injectors, unlike Continental, are very closely matched and can usually run lean of peak (LOP) with usually only reording of nozzles among cylinders.

While the Deakin articles are very good and informative, you should realize he wrote those with his primary experience of Bonanza (Continental engine) flyer. LOP operation is definitely possible, safe and efficient with stock injectors on a Lycoming engine. Same thing for a Continental engine just not usually with stock injectors. But even with a Continental engine, turbo injectors on a non turbo engine should not be needed unless as a band-aid to some other poor configuration.

Below is a link to one user that had to install turbo injectors on his BPE Lycoming engine with a Sam James plenum because the plenum did not allow enough pressure differential between the upper and lower deck.

http://www.painttheweb.com/painttheweb/RV-10/Turbonozzles.aspx

Still unanswered......can anyone tell me which specific 540's will or will not work with the van's FWF kit?:confused::confused:

I know that you can buy a relatively cheap new engine from van but I still have a desire to build my own.

The attached Lyc. book is a great asset but it does not show oil sump configurations...do 540's have forward, rear, and bottom draft sumps like the smaller engines?

Thanks.

Thanks for the PM offers.

It is not an easy question

I know a C4B5 will work.. a D4A5 will also work (vans engine)

I see a lot of people with the C4B5 and that is what I am going with.. It is supposed to be the same as the D4A5 from a parts list stand point I believe. There are a lot to choose from I think your best bet if you want to build it yourself is to talk with salvage companies such as Flagler Air Exchange and see what they have available. I bought my C4B5 from Josh there and he is shipping it overhauled, but unassembled so I can put it together myself and get the learning experience from it.

Lycoming O 540

Not sure if this will be any help but I will be using a O 540 F1B5 from a R44 with few bolt on modifications including FI.

The main difference from the D4A5 is that the Cylinders are lighter than the D4A5 which affects the HP rating and the Oil dip stick is located nearer to the firewall.

I have yet to mount the engine as it is currently being rebuilt for me but I hope to have it mounted in place in six months time or so.

I don't have a list for you, but the Type Certificate lists all the differences starting with the original model. You can go down the list & compare. Works okay to figure out what a particular engine is, but doesn't give you a list unless you derive one from it.

Back