What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lubricating Aileron Bellcrank

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I am finishing up the wings, and working on the aileron actuation.

Unless I am just WAY overlooking it, I don't see anything in the manual about using grease or other lubricant on the bellcrank.

Reading on VAF on other models of RV it appears the directions call for "Your favorate grease".

Am I just missing it in the manual? (If so if someone could point to where it says it in the RV-10 manual I would be greatfull so I don't miss it in other places as well).

Aeroshell 33 reasonable?

Thanks.

Curious if the bellcrank is the same as other RV's, what are we really lubricating? The bolt? I think the bearing is sealed.
Regardless, I use LPS-2 and kind of fake my way into squirting it in the general area of the bearing and bolt.
Again, curious about what the experts have to say.

Rotating part

Rotating part is between bellcrank (Steal) and brass bushing. There is no bearing. Bolt is inside bushing, but bushing does not rotate.

Curious if the bellcrank is the same as other RV's, what are we really lubricating? The bolt? I think the bearing is sealed.
Regardless, I use LPS-2 and kind of fake my way into squirting it in the general area of the bearing and bolt.
Again, curious about what the experts have to say.

The design changed. The early ones (probably including your RV-6) had a sealed Mil spec bearing riveted between two pieces of metal.

The later version has a brass bushing in a welded assy. that provides the pivot.

The bushing version certainly should be squirted with lubricant...:)

The design changed. The early ones (probably including your RV-6) had a sealed Mil spec bearing riveted between two pieces of metal.

The later version has a brass bushing in a welded assy. that provides the pivot.

The bushing version certainly should be squirted with lubricant...:)

As usual, you are correct. My 6 has the sealed bearing. Hopefully lubricated for life.

Bill,

I used standard automotive wheel brg grease on the bolt/brass bushing pivots here and at control sticks. Also on nose fork.

The aurora rod end bearings are pre lubricated but I still sprayed all of my hinges/bearings with LPS-1 or -2.

Back