What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LSE/Cowl/IO-360 Help Please

phapp

Patron
Hi,
Working on the cowl. Aerosport Power IO-360. The clearance between the cowl and the LSE ignition module & spark plug leads is very close. (Picture 1).

The plans call for 1/8" spinner to upper cowl but they don't indicate in which direction. My guess is 1/8" high or low? I'm all the way up to double that, 1/4" (Picture 2) to have some clearance for the LSE module and wires.

What have others done?

view

view

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Hi,
Working on the cowl.
The plans call for 1/8" spinner to upper cowl but they don't indicate in which direction. My guess is 1/8" high or low? I'm all the way up to double that, 1/4"
view

view

Thanks for any advice.

The 1/8" is the fore-aft gap between the back of the spinner and the front of the cowl. Vertically there should be a smooth flow from the spinner to the top of the cowl, although some builders with fresh engine mounts position the cowl slightly high, figuring that the mounts will sag 1/8" with time.

Edit: high-low confused, see below.

Last edited:
The 1/8" is the fore-aft gap between the back of the spinner and the front of the cowl. Vertically there should be a smooth flow from the spinner to the top of the cowl, although some builders with fresh engine mounts position the cowl slightly high, figuring that the mounts will sag 1/8" with time.

I think you meant to position the cowl slightly low so that the engine will settle down to it.

I agree with the other posts about cowl spacing. I moved my ignition coils aft of the fuel distribution spider to answer your other question.

Best,
Guy

Thank you Guy. That's what I was looking for and what I was thinking. Move the coils aft. I wish Aerosport would keep track of these things and configure accordingly. I'll send them a friendly note to help the next person.

The engine has been mounted for a 3 months, and the prop for 1 month (yes, a very slow build, quick build). So hopefully I have some sag already.

DWG 48 shows 1/8 top, 1/8 - 3/16 bottom vertical. I have a 1/8 cowl to spinner spacer in place per the build manual.

My understanding is that the vertical position is relatively important for air flow / cooling. If I get the 1/8 vertical, the cowl will sit on, or within 1/16 of the LSE ignition module and leads. Flexing, vibrating, rubbing. Not good for aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
The engine has been mounted for a 3 months, and the prop for 1 month (yes, a very slow build, quick build). So hopefully I have some sag already.

Not likely.

I have found that engine sag occurs slowly as a result of engine shake/vibration once put in service. It usually is pretty settled in after the first 100-150 hrs.

Back