What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance Airmap 2000 versus Avmap EKP-IV

fredmoss

I'm in the market for a electronic kneeboard and I was wondering if anyone out there had any hands on experience with either the

Lowrance Airmap 2000C or the Avmap EKP-IV.

They both get good reviews, but I don't live or fly in the US. I was wondering if they had terrain and airspace data for outside the US?

Lowrance 2000

I have a Lowrance 2000C and am very pleased with all the features.
The terrain software should be out any day now, for an additional $99.
The 2000C is a fantastic unit and it does have an international database available but I'm not sure if there is going to be an international terrain database.
The U.S. terrain database is so large they had to put it on a 512mb SD card, leaving very little room for personal detailed maps for areas you fly in often.
I talked with a Lowrance Tech Advisor and late last month he said they were still having problems getting everything to work properly and the release of the terrain software may be delayed a little.
Shop around before you buy! I bought my 2000C thru www.pilotmall.com during Oshkosh for $649. They're still the cheapest I have found as of today and they are a reputable mail order supplier (they advertise in Sport Pilot and AOPA Pilot).
The only report I have heard about the other unit you mentioned was from a local pilot shop. He let someone field test it and he brought it back claiming the menu and software was much harder to navigate in than the Lowrance software.
Good Luck shopping!

Lowrance 2000C Update

Fred and others,

I have to correct the best deal location. Marv Golden now has the best deal on the net for the Lowrance 2000c at $749.
Go to www.marvgolden.com for details.
They also sell an EXACT copy of the Lightspeed QFR XCII headset with the EXACT specs as the Lightspeed for $239 versus $359 to $379 at most places.
Check them out.

mrreddick said:
I have a Lowrance 2000C and am very pleased with all the features.
The terrain software should be out any day now, for an additional $99.
The 2000C is a fantastic unit and it does have an international database available but I'm not sure if there is going to be an international terrain database.
The U.S. terrain database is so large they had to put it on a 512mb SD card, leaving very little room for personal detailed maps for areas you fly in often.
I talked with a Lowrance Tech Advisor and late last month he said they were still having problems getting everything to work properly and the release of the terrain software may be delayed a little.
Shop around before you buy! I bought my 2000C thru www.pilotmall.com during Oshkosh for $649. They're still the cheapest I have found as of today and they are a reputable mail order supplier (they advertise in Sport Pilot and AOPA Pilot).
The only report I have heard about the other unit you mentioned was from a local pilot shop. He let someone field test it and he brought it back claiming the menu and software was much harder to navigate in than the Lowrance software.
Good Luck shopping!

How is the direct sunlight readability of the 2000C?

Lowrance 2000

If you are hard-wired it is very good. You have to go in to the "screen" menu and adjust the brightness. No problem with or without a Koger shade. The colors are very good.
On internal battery power only, it won't stay bright long. As the batteries get weak the unit automatically resets the brightness for lower battery consumption.

I had the Lowrance 500 for two years and really like the features but found that in bright daylight it was hard to see. I now have a Lowrance 2000C that I bought from Flight Essentials at the Osh Special for $699.00 have been very pleased with all the features and very easy to see in bright daylight. The terrain software was shipped yesterday for $79.95. Read somewhere that by the end of 2005 that there will be turn-by-turn voice driving instruction software available.
Squeak

Lowrance Software

Squeak,

Where did you get the new software for $79.95?
Everywhere I've checked says it's $99 or $99.95 and no indication that it's in stock.
I'd like to upgrade mine before our LOE trip.

Mike
I had it on order from Flight Essentials for 2 months for 99.00 and then saw an ad for 95.00 free shipping in stock. So I emailed Flight Essentials to cancel my order if they had not shipped and they email me back and agree to sell it to me for 79.99 and free shipping.
So I guess they did not want me to buy it from someone else.
They sent me an email yesterday to say it has been shipped with a UPS tracking number so it should be here in a few days.
Jasper,Indiana
Squeak

Back