What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowest Temperature for applying ChemSeal

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
I am ready to start sealing the fuel tanks on my RV-14. I’m using the Flamemaster CS-3204 B-2 sealant. Problem is that my shop is not heated (when I’m not in there) and night time temps are in the 30s. I cannot find any information on the acceptable temperatures for application. I know that cold causes it to to cure slower and hot cures faster. I figure that I won’t be putting fuel in the tanks for over a year so I’m not too concerned with a slow cure rate BUT I would assume there is a temperature range where the sealant won’t cure.

Daytime temps are typically 50-70 degrees.

Does anyone in here know the answer to that question? I put a question in with Flamemaster but they have not responded. I’m wanting to finish my fuel tanks now if possible.

Thanks!

Cold and dry conditions are the worst for curing the sealant. Personal experience is that much below 50 during the cure period can inhibit cure for a long time, even after bringing it up to room temp.

at least 55deg

I was trying to find that myself a couple months ago, unsuccessfully.
I keep my shop at 55 unless I'm in there. When I did my elevators the sealant was still soft and gooey after two weeks. brought them in house for a week and all was good.

Back