What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lower rudder fairing - interference with VS attach bolts.

Doug

Well Known Member
I have just carefully fitted the lower fairing to the rudder and was pleased with the fit until I mounted it on the VS. I have considerable interference with all three three VS/tail wheel weldment attach bolts.

I have tried turning the bolts so the bolt heads are aft - but I still encounter interference at about 30 degrees deflection.

Access to fit the nuts is almost impossible with this bolt orientation - so now I need to ask what do most folk do here?

Do I need to bite the bullet and hack clearance holes in the fairing or is there a better solution out there?

Doug
RV-6 Finishing - Ha, I am kidding myself!

Are you sure the three bearings are installed the proper distance from the VS spar & rudder?

Are you sure the three bearings are installed the proper distance from the VS spar & rudder?

And are you sure you are using the correct rod end bearing for the bottom hinge location. If I remember correctly, it is longer than the other two. to allow for proper spacing of the rudder.

Thanks for the quick response!

I believe the rod end sizes are correct but I will confirm using the diagram from van's site.

I suspect that they are indeed screwed in too far. Too obvious for me. The lower bearing shows 6 threads on the inside but none between the locknut and the bearing head. Clearly this can be turned out some.

The centre bearing has 3 threads between the locknut and the bearing head and the top has no threads.

Thanks,

Doug

OK I have confirmed the bearing types are correct.

The lower bearing now adjusted with 3 threads extending through the plate nut - top bearing is screwed in as far as it will go, and the middle is about 4 threads short of being fully screwed in.

So I have created as much clearance for the lower three bolts as I dare.

I now have clearance for the the lowest bolt when installed with it's head forward, but in order to get the clearance for the other two bolts I still have to have the heads facing aft to clear the lower rudder fairing. At least I can get full rudder deflection but it will be very difficult to install the nuts on these two bolts.

So my question still stands - have others had to reverse these two bolts or cut clearance holes in the rudder fairing to get the clearance required?

Doug

Bolt heads aft.

The bolt heads must go on the aft side of the VS spar to get the clearance. Check your plans for the measured distance between the VS Spar Web and the Rudder Spar Web. It is difficult to measure accurately but you can use the rivet line, deduct for the over have of the skin, and get close enough. You then check to insure you have enough threads engaged for your rod end bearings.
Proper Rudder gap is important or it will scrape the fuselage skin when deflected, prividing you trimmed the fuselage skin per plans.
Sounds like you are getting it done.

On my -8 I also had interference with the rudder fairing after I thought I did such a nice job of installation on the rudder. The rudder fairing requires trimming before fitting it and should be adjusted before permanently riveting it on while the rudder is on the airplane. Your bearings may be right. Just the forward end of the rudder fairing is too far back. Trimming it towards the rear end brings it away from the bolts. ....... At least that was my experience on my -8. Many people told me... to late.... that you have to fit that fairing with the rudder on the airplane.

I now have clearance for the the lowest bolt when installed with it's head forward, but in order to get the clearance for the other two bolts I still have to have the heads facing aft to clear the lower rudder fairing. At least I can get full rudder deflection but it will be very difficult to install the nuts on these two bolts.

So my question still stands - have others had to reverse these two bolts or cut clearance holes in the rudder fairing to get the clearance required?

Doug

It is standard on an RV to install these bolts with the heads aft.
It is not all that tough to do and you hopefully only do it once. Put thin washers under the bolt heads and turn the bolt for installation. It is good to always turn the nut when possible, but their are occasions when their is not much choice...this is one of them.

It sounds like my 'issues' are typical and the VS/rudder installation is pretty much done.

Thank you to all who responded.

Another one of those trivial but essential issues that paves the road to completing an RV!

Doug

My Bolt Heads Are Aft But ...

My bolt heads are aft in that area but something someone else said triggered a thought. I installed the lower rudder cap with #8 flat head screws, dimple washers and platenuts to allow easy removal for access to the taillight and strobe wiring, etc. I have had occasion to remove it several times in the five years I have been flying the plane. I did the same with the vertical stabilizer cap to allow it to fair in the nav antenna disc and permit access for service.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back