What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lower flap skin chaffing on fuse

kevinsrv7.com

Well Known Member
All, I have considerable chaffing where the left lower flap skin meets the fuselage. Have other RV 7 builders run into this problem? I have solutions for this by massaging and trimming the flap skin as required, but I'm concerned there may be additional issues since it's not covered much here on VAF.

Also in the picture the wing incidence has been set and the rear spar drilled.

Note: I measured precisely during the above tasks and confident those measurements are perfect. If anyone has before and after pics much appreciated. The right flap has not been mounted yet. Thanks

http://www.kevinsrv7.com/P1020272.JPG

I had exactly the same issue. I did what you said. Bent a "S" into the flap skin and it lies smooth on the fuse.
Sorry no pics.

I had the same issue. The only thing is, I discovered it during final assembly after being painted. Since I wasn't going to bend anything, cutting it off worked best. Maybe try bending and if that doesn't work....

Bending for a good fit

How do you bend an S in to the flap skin (?)

Make two bends in the flap skin:

1. Bend down along a line between the inboard trailing edge corner and a point on the forward edge of the flap as far outboard as you can go, i.e. at the edge of the rib. Bend down along this line until the flap skin just lightly touches the corner of the fuselage skin.

2. Bend up along a line between the inboard trailing edge corner and the point on the forward edge of the flap where the flap skin touches the fuselage. Bend up along this line until the flap skin rests perfectly flush on the bottom of the fuselage.

In the following photo, the two bend lines can be seen (lightly) marked with blue sharpie on the flap skin:
20101110_10.jpg

Another tip: when making the bends, clamp the flap skin between two pieces of angle to get good clean bends.

Yes, what Roee said above, capture the material to bend prior to bending. You may know this already.

Good luck.

I had the exact same problem but had my mind put at ease when Jim Sharkey posted a photo of his aircraft and how he had fixed it. I did the exact same thing. Its not such a big disaster.
I found the thread titled
Flap to fuse fittment
I tried to repost the photo here but Im not clever enough to do that, but you might be able to search and find the thread, its a really good clear photo, good luck

Here's the pic

Here's the pic that Phil was referring to (guess I can now consider myself as 'clever' :D). Hope this helps you guys (& thanks to Jim Sharkey for the original post/pic). See that, moderators aren't so bad, now are they ;):

I had the exact same problem but had my mind put at ease when Jim Sharkey posted a photo of his aircraft and how he had fixed it. I did the exact same thing. Its not such a big disaster.
I found the thread titled .
I tried to repost the photo here but Im not clever enough to do that, but you might be able to search and find the thread, its a really good clear photo, good luck

Last edited:
Back