What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lower empennage gap covers

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
I am wrapping up the rear of my -7 and have just installed one of the empennage gap covers, anyone know why the holes under the empennage are tapped and screwed? Seems to me that there will be no reason to ever remove these and it would be easier to rivet them in place (tapping the holes after the empennage is in place was a PITA). I understand that the forward two holes are for the upper fairing. Also the rubber seal seems a bit hokey as you have to trim most of it to clear the longerons etc.
Just checking to see if I am missing something

Mine have been riveted on for 15 years. No reason to ever take them off.

Have built a 6 and 7 both were rivited on with the foward edge slipped under the skin. Looks better than with all the screws. It never has to come off.

I riveted mine as well. I didn't use rubber in the gap either, just fit the strip very closely. I think it looks much better this way and as others have said, making that lower strip removable accomplishes nothing.

Proseal Rules

I did not like the idea of drilling and tapping into the longeron just to attach the lower fairings on my -6A so I simply prosealed them into place. Its a very clean installation and I see no reason that the fairings will ever have to be removed.

Last edited:
Back