What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lower cowl shifting

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Got my upper cowl drilled... I'm happy with it's location. Centered left to right and allowing for engine sag.

But when I position the lower cowl, it shifts both pieces towards one side. Just wondering how to cure that. I've trimmed the bottom and started matching the sides after cutting off the molding flange. Also tried releasing some clecos from the top but that doesn't help much.

Any tips?

Thanks!!

Similar issue

Hi Scott,

I had similar issues. I used hinges on the lower cowl sides and Skybolts on the upper/lower joint and on the top of the cowl. Everything got clecoed together and everything fit great. After riveting the hinges the lower cowl shifted slightly. Nothing to be concerned with but enough to make me a little upset.

I wouldn't worry about it until you have everything set up.

Thanks Darwin... I forgot to mention that I, too, am using camlocs on the upper cowl and along the sides of the lower cowl. I haven't drilled the lower sides or bottom yet.

It's just frustrating cuz you see some RV's that have perfect spinner alignment and others that are off. Ohhh well. It's just a cowl.

Back