What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lower Cowl - how to remove and install?

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
Presently I am fitting the cowls on my RV-7. I noticed that it is kind of difficult to lift the lower cowl into position when the prop is mounted. How are you installing the lower cowl without scratching everything around. How big are your cutouts for the gear legs. It should be easier when these are a little larger than necessary.

heres how I do it

the cowl dance ---

Position prop horizontal

Right hand holding left inlet, Left hand under cowl near center

Face the prop with the cowl hanging down in front of you

Squat down as you slide the cowl under the engine

sight under the prop and you can see both upper aft corners of the cowl as you begin to raise it into place and guide the aft corners to the outside of both gear legs

continue to raise the cowl with the front higher than the back

as the front slips under the prop spinner, raise the back

engage the back vertical hinge on the right side (your left) with the fire wall hinge. does not have to be perfect, just engaged. With this supporting the right side of cowl, your left hand can continue to support the cowl from underneath as you walk around to the left side of the aircraft (to your right) and fully engage and pin that side

keep supporting the bottom with your left hand and walk to the other side, Trading the right hand under the cowl for the left hand. engage the right side hinge and pin it.

voila done

can do it with a bit of practice with no scratching and in about 30 seconds.

If you have a 3 blade prop ..... punt!

Last edited:
So I tried the different suggestions. What works for me is coming up with the lower cowling and the front higher. Slide along the gear legs and go up further, I hold the cowling with one hand while putting a cleco each left and right on the top rear. I will use MilSpec Fasteners later on the firewall, hinges between the top and bottom. I found that enlarging the cutouts for the gear legs on the outer part is helpful this way. I probably will enlarge them further, they will be covered with the intersection fairings. Anyhow it is a tight fit and easy to scratch the prop cutout area.

Cowl install.

Great post. Cowl install system is helpful.

Tape on the nose gear fairing saves the paint.

Protectors made from File Folders

I make a cover out of file folders for the nose landing gear strut - wrap it around and tape in place.

I make a two piece collar out of file folders and place them around the prop shaft/crank case behind the spinner and tape the two halfs together.

These two "Tools" provide the necessary protection then you just have to handle this big awkward lower cowl and carefully put it on and start one aft vertical hinge pin then the other. I've done mine by myself over 8 years, well Jeanine helped me a few times (and if you have two people it is pretty easy) and no paint damage yet.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Chafe setup

I like your anti-chafe setup Bob. Thanks for the tip.

I am going to try your setup for my oil change this month.

Back