What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low volume on pilot side headset

Mike Howard

I'm New Here
I am continuing to have a problem with the volume in the pilot side head set. Co-pilot side is fine and I have tried switching headsets. I have checked out all the wiring including the options wiring harness and have found no opens or shorts. I believe that my problem is inside the AV50000A control module.
The Van's electrical schematic does not include any information as to what happens inside the box.
Does any one have access to a schematic for what goes on inside the control module? I need the schematic for units shipped after 8/25/11.

For the head set connections feeding the intercom, the AV-50000 is nothing more than a hub for two harness cable to connect to each other (comes in one point on the box and out the other).

I think there was an error with some of the intercom harnesses where the pilot and copilot jacks labeling is reversed, so if the pilot side is not working properly, it could be that you need to look at wiring labeled as copilot side.

Interesting. For some reason my pilot side wire is about 6 inches too short to reach where it is supposed to, but the co-pilot wire is plenty long. It looks like I will need to splice in about 6 inches to those wires.

Since the headset wires pass through the AV-50000, the AV-50000 could be bypassed. The wires could run directly from the headset jacks to the GTR200.

Pilot Headset L - WHT/BLU Garmin GTR200 pin 14
Pilot Headset R - WHT Garmin GTR200 pin 13
Shield - Garmin GTR200 Backshell
Pilot Mic HI - WHT/ORN Garmin GTR200 pin 17
Pilot Mic LOW - WHT/GRN Garmin GTR200 pin 36 (best), or
optionally to the Garmin GTR200 Backshell

Keep in mind that I have never bypassed Van's control board. The above is based on my interpretation of the schematic.

Back