What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low oil pressure reading

TShort

Well Known Member
Flew KUMP->KBIE->KAEJ in the RV10 a few days ago.
On the first leg I had some minor fluctuations in the oil PSI reading, +/- a few PSI. Temps normal. Engine running fine.
Near the end of leg 2 (of course, over the most hostile terrain coming into the mountains and about the furthest point from any airport), oil pressure dropped to 49-50, wavered there for several minutes, and then almost immediately returned to normal. Oil temps did not increase. Engine was running fine, even with me being hyper attentive to any potential abnormality.

I landed uneventfully. I have uploaded the data to Savvy, and emailed g3xpert for input as well.

Savvy felt it could have been a transient chunk of debris (carbon) between the seat and ball of the pressure control valve.

I am wondering what is the best course of action for troubleshooting prior to flying home (over some terrain initially).

I have the TSO Kavlico sensors for fuel/oil pressure; does anyone know their behavior with a bad ground?

Screenshot of the oil temp/pressure graphs attached. Pressure is the blue line, temp is purple.

Thanks in advance.
Screenshot 2024-09-14 at 9.02.08 AM.png

Looks like quite a few very quick changes (spikes) in oil pressure. I would definitely check the wiring both the ground and sensor.
It’s amazing how flying over water or inhospitable terrain heightens your awareness to engine parameters. The good thing is that it’s never dropped dangerously low and that the oil temperature hasn’t climbed.

regards Peter

Back