What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lost Doors... Diamond Aircraft

David Shelton

Well Known Member
I believe it might be helpful to compare our door problems/solutions with those of the DA-40, which has a top-hinged passenger door. An estimated 31 rear passenger doors have departed Diamond DA-40 airplanes while in flight. This is 7.2% of the 428 airplanes in service.

The main cause was found to be "the crew not properly securing the rear passenger door prior to flight." The proposed AD would require installation of "an improved retainer bracket to prevent the passenger rear door fully opening in flight." The FAA has issued a notice of proposed rulemaking which would include installation of a new retaining bracket.

FAA Docket: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/2010-21068.htm

Diamond Service Bulletin: http://www.diamond-air.at/fileadmin..._Bulletins/SB40-070-0-M-pax-door-complete.pdf

At first glance, the basic retaining latch appears similar in design and function to the Vans latch. Does anyone have any good pictures of a DA-40 retaining latch?

An estimated 31 rear passenger doors have departed Diamond DA-40 airplanes while in flight. This is 7.2% of the 428 airplanes in service.

David: Just to update the numbers for you.

There have been just over 1000 lycoming powered DA40's manufactured and approx 200 diesel powered DA40's manufactured bringing the fleet total to about 1200. That is about 2.5% of the fleet.

Dont really know what issues you guys are having with your RV's butthis one is a little frustrating. The only known flaw in the design is the requirement for the pilot in command to close and latch the door prior to taking off. :)

Thankfully when the doors do come off they dont cause any problems for the airplane (i.e. hitting structure, or controlability) but I wouldnt want to be standing on the ground under a DA40 back door at terminal velocity.

Regards,
Jeff Owen

Last edited:
Back