What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lost.....and found

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
Garmin 496 audio output and Dynon fuel added threshold

I noticed a while back that I was no longer hearing the "500" when descending into an airport, nor the "Terrain...Pull up" when descending toward a mountain. Actually, I didn't miss it much because it can be a bit of an annoyance. Anyway, I assumed it must be a setting somewhere, but it eluded me. Then I set the sounds to default on the Garmin 496 and it was back. I now know that in the Sound Tab the Audio Jack setting must be set to "Line Out" when the unit is connected to the RV-12 panel and not "Headphones".
From the User Guide:
i-hhGXWjb-M.jpg

The default is "Line out", I don't know how I got it set to "Headphones". On the same sound tab you can turn the voice prompts off if they annoy you. We have a mountain adjacent to our airport and a turn onto base for RWY 19 will trigger a "Terrain" alert and it gets more and more persistent as you descend. An annoyance if you are doing pattern work. From JB's video in Iowa, I doubt he has ever heard the terrain alert there ;).

Of course, the Dynon has it's own seperate Betty for all its alert functions, which is not controlled by the Garmin sound tab.

One year of flying and still learning how everything works.

Now if I could just figure out why I no longer am seeing the Dynon "fuel added" prompt :confused:

Tony

Last edited:
Ref Tony's comment about "Fuel Added" prompt

I have the same problem in that after refueling, the "Fuel Added" prompt does not display. I have the "Add Threshold" set at 5% which should activate the "Fuel Added" prompt if more than one gallon of fuel is added but it doesn't activate. I have tried setting the "Add Threshold" at different percentages but no prompt comes up. I have spoken with Mike at Dynon about this and he had no answer as to how to correct the problem. I have the "Full Value" set at 19.8 and I believe the "Preset Value" the same. In my case I don't know what else to do. Anyone else got any ideas?

I have the same problem in that after refueling, the "Fuel Added" prompt does not display. I have the "Add Threshold" set at 5% which should activate the "Fuel Added" prompt if more than one gallon of fuel is added but it doesn't activate. I have tried setting the "Add Threshold" at different percentages but no prompt comes up. I have spoken with Mike at Dynon about this and he had no answer as to how to correct the problem. I have the "Full Value" set at 19.8 and I believe the "Preset Value" the same. In my case I don't know what else to do. Anyone else got any ideas?

If you are talking about having a fuel level of about 15 gallons and then adding the 5 gallons to fill the tank the Dynon will not see it as the fuel sender stops moving at about 15 gallons. If it can not see the fuel it will not tell you anything.

Best regards,
Vern

No Fuel Added Prompt...

Alan
I have tried the same things you have and still don't see a fuel added prompt.
I think it may have disappeared after the 5.4 software upgrade, but that is just a guess, I can't document that. Others seem to have upgraded to 5.4 without having this as a problem.

Not a problem actually, just have to remember to add fuel to the computer after gassing up.

There are always answers to these kind of things and I like to find them. A lot of times it is operator error, but in this case I don't think so.

A couple more reports and maybe we'll have enough to petition Dynon for a bug check.

Tony

Reload software

The only thing that I can think of is to run Dynon Support 5_4_0 D6-60 1_1_0.exe to reload the Dynon operating system. And who knows if that will help or not, but it is worth a try. Backup the existing settings first.
Joe Gores

"Fuel Added" prompt

Ref Vern's reply: I have added as much as 10 gallons of fuel and the prompt will not come up. My 12 has been flying about a year now. I am on my second Dynon 180. The orginial 180 would show a prompt after adding only 3 or 4 gallon. That 180 quit working and Dynon sent me a new unit. This unit has never showed a prompt before or after updating to 5.4. As you stated Tony, it's not really a big problem since I usually top off the tank after each flight and then reset the fuel computer to "full". It's just that I am one of those that wants everything to work as it's suppose to. I appreciate all the replys.

Alan,

I have the latest firmware loaded (5.4) and DO get the "fuel added" prompts. You probably will not get the prompt if you have 15 gallons in the tank and add 5 gallons. The float max's out at 16 gallons, and the float triggers the prompt.

Last edited:
My 2 cents...

All,

A hot and humid Good Morning from upstate NY!

I have 5.4, my "Add Threshold" is set at 10% (2 gallons), and the parameters having to do with tank size are set to 20 gallons.

Last night I filled the tank right up to the neck with 12.7 gallons, and I got the prompt.

Comments above are correct about the values over 16 gallons. The float does not work above 16 gallons, by design.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the software.

John

Tony,

Here's a thought. Change the name of this thread so future builders can access the information imparted herein. Maybe something like "Garmin 496 audio output and Dynon fuel added threshold"

Could save somebody a lot of time.

John

Back