What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lord Dynafocal 1 mounts & engine bolt set

groucho

Well Known Member
Hey everybody-

I'm replacing the Lord mounts in my -6. Vans is being a pain & wants me to get some paperwork notarized before they'll let me order parts from them (even though I've ordered parts from them in the past). So, I'm trying to figure out all the part numbers I need to do the job.

According to lots of previous posts here, the Lord mounts are part number J-9613-40 (same as the Mooney M20J (1976-up) Lyc. IO-360-A3B6D). I can't find any reference to what parts are in the Vans bolt kit though. I'm looking for what's in Vans'
EA DYNA BOLT kit so that I can also replace those bolts.

Thanks!

2x AN7-43 Bolt (Top)
2x AN7-44 Bolt (Bottom)
4x AN310-7 Nut
4x MS24665-283 Cotter Pin
2x AN 970-7 Washers (Bottom under head of bolt)
AN960-716 Washers as required under the nuts

They asked me to sign & notarize a license agreement that looks like something one might sign when they buy a kit. It says I agree to only build one airplane from the kit/plans, not copy the plans, etc.

It's not that I'm going to run around copying plans & making multiple airplanes, it's just a giant pain to order simple parts. I bought my airplane already flying. When I did that, I let Vans know that I was the new owner. I've never had any trouble buying parts before, so this really seems odd to me.

They confirmed today that they couldn't complete my order (for 4 Lords mounts & a bolt kit) until I returned the signed & notarized documents. I emailed back & asked them to cancel my order...and let them know that I was going to buy parts from Spruce instead.

I definitely understand that they want to protect their designs & don't want to get sued, but seriously...engine mounts? Seems pretty silly to me.

mounts

The accesory catalog lists the mounts as something they would sell to any one. Also the mounts are not listed in their oem list which would require the agreement. At $500 a set not including bolts it looks like they did you a favor. Theres a guy selling them on ebay for $268 a set.

I hear ya, but...Call me old fashioned, but I don't buy airplane parts off eBay. I've been burned by seemingly legit eBay sellers before on things far less important than airplane parts. It's worth the extra money to me to make sure I get the exact parts I ordered. Still, I did take a look & no one is selling the right Lord mounts for RVs.

I looked at Spruce & Sky Geek and they both sell 4x J-9613-40 Lord mounts for roughly $500. The bolt parts are cheaper to order from Spruce than Vans though.

I would just go ahead and send them the required paperwork so they have it on file for possible/probable future orders. It may sound like a silly requirement to us but if that's what it takes to get what you need, why not just do it? I am sure that they (Van's) have their reasons for it. Just saying,,,,,:confused:

Lord or VIP???

Bryan,
You repeatedly mention Lord brand motor mounts in your posts. It's my understanding that Vans only carried or carries the less expensive VIP [Vibration Isolation Products] mounts. The VIP units are less expensive, but are said by many to be of lesser quality compared to the genuine Lord units.
Has Vans started carrying the Lord brand, or were you simply using "Lord" as a generic term [such as saying Q-tip instead of cotton swap]?
Charlie
PS There is also a third company Barry, which also product light aircraft motor mounts.

Bryan,
You repeatedly mention Lord brand motor mounts in your posts. It's my understanding that Vans only carried or carries the less expensive VIP [Vibration Isolation Products] mounts. The VIP units are less expensive, but are said by many to be of lesser quality compared to the genuine Lord units.
Has Vans started carrying the Lord brand, or were you simply using "Lord" as a generic term [such as saying Q-tip instead of cotton swap]?
Yeah, I wanted Lord brand mounts. Vans site says they are Lord, not Lord-style or Lord-like. For the price, they better be Lord.

Either way, I ordered them from Spruce. They say "Lord" nice & big in red on the boxes. :D

Bryan,
Are your new Lord mounts all black rubber? Or do they have a white section in the middle?
Charlie

Back