What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOP Climbing

Jesse

Well Known Member
I'm curious if some people do the big pull in early climb to get LOP while climbing. My SOP has always been to pull back to 25 squared once I reach 100-200' and lean ROP to around 1300 degrees EGT and don't got LOP until I reach cruise. I have heard more recently of doing the big pull at hight power in the climb. If you do, what fuel flow do you usually pull to at 25 squared in the climb?

Personally I don't make any power changes until at pattern altitude or if departing an altitude where I can make the turn. I will pull the prop back some. From a field that's not already at altitude, I'll throttle back then start leaning to best power once past that altitude, much like you. Typically I'm not trying to go LOP until 5,000. Looking at the "red box" and the percent power I get at WOT I just can't get leaned far enough and have an acceptably running engine.

I have just been hearing a lot more about leaning in climb. I would do the big pull, getting LOP quickly to avoid running in the red box. Mike Busch advocates this and I just flew with a guy who has a Bonanza that does the same, doing a big pull to LOP at 1,000' or so in the climb. I'm just curious is anybody else does this in a -10, and what fuel flow they pull to in the climb. I always run LOP in cruise, and I am usually at or below 65% power, where there is little if any red box.

A couple of thoughts: At high power settings the engine uses a rich mixture to help cool. Of course after the big pull, you won’t be at quite as high a power setting, but at lower altitude you’re still running at a pretty high power setting and at a slower airspeed (less cooling airflow) than you would be at cruise. I would definitely watch the CHTs…I think that’s where you might have an issue. Also keep in mind, you will be producing less excess power, and your climb rate will show. It will take longer to reach cruise altitude, and that will reduce some of the benefit you might gain by running LOP in climb. But flying is as much an art as a science, so keeping those issues in mind, give it a try and see how it works for you.

I Never pull back my throttle if I'm departing the pattern. WOT until I have to watch my TAS in descent. I start leaning at 3K back to take off EGT and every couple thousand feet adjust that. After 7,500 ish if I'm going to run LOP I start heading that way with the final set after level off. If I'm into a headwind I run ROP about 75 degrees and enjoy the added airspeed. Mostly LOP with a tailwind. I rarely, if ever cruise below 7,500 depending on the headwind.

I'm curious if some people do the big pull in early climb to get LOP while climbing. My SOP has always been to pull back to 25 squared once I reach 100-200' and lean ROP to around 1300 degrees EGT and don't got LOP until I reach cruise. I have heard more recently of doing the big pull at hight power in the climb. If you do, what fuel flow do you usually pull to at 25 squared in the climb?
If I am looking to stetch range on a long flight, yes, I climb lean of peak. I usually do it around 2-3000 MSL. I lean to around 50-100* LOP in these cases with FF around 11 -12 in the RV-10. Throttle is WOT and RPM 2500. I also advance ignition when LOP. CHTs WAYYYY lower than ROP climb.

Last edited:
I usually leave the throttle wide open until I'm back in the pattern. Pull prop to 2400 and pull mixture til I feel/hear a bit of fall off in power leaving the pattern. 15 - 20 seconds later check fuel flow and CHTs. Don't even care what the EGTs are. If CHTs are under control, I'm not detonating. I'm based under a Class Charlie so I'm doing a cruise climb, at least at first. If I want to climb faster or I'm in a hurry, I'll push prop to 2500 or 2600 and monitor CHTs. If its a really hot day and the CHTs want to rise in the climb, I'll open some cowl flap, push the nose over a little, and temporarily enrichen to the other side of the red box, in that order, and if all that doesn't do it, pull some throttle until the temps are back under control. I will take action beginning at 380 CHT and rising with 410 being my hard redline. I'll cruise at full throttle, 2400ish, CHTs around 380, and whatever fuel flow keeps the CHTs in check from 1000ft to the mid teens. If CHTs are edging up in cruise, most often a little leaner fixes it right up. Of course, all this wouldn't be possible if the injectors weren't tuned so that every cylinder can be run LOP and the engine running smoothly.

Ed

I typically leave take-off power (WOT/2700 turns) all the way up to cruise altitude. Somewhere after I've turned on course and have things squared away, let's say 2000'-ish AGL, I'll lean a bit to keep EGTs about where they were on take-off. My home airport is about 3000' MSL. In the summer, even with an early AM T.O., DA is typically 4,000-4,500'.

Granted, bringing the RPM back to 2,500 would reduce the noise signature somewhat, but if you wait until pattern altitude to do it, and you're climbing at 1,500 fpm and 110 KIAS, is there a lot of real benefit noted from the ground? At least for me, the noise associated with someone pushing in the prop lever as they enter downwind to land--and are still a little fast--is more bothersome than the noise of a climbout. Maybe that's just me...

As for fuel, even if I didn't bring the mixture back a bit in climb, with a climb duration of less than 5 minutes to get to 10K feet (typical cruise altitude) and an initial fuel flow of 26 gph, I'm still only burning ~2 gallons. Making things significantly more complicated, and possibly adding a bit of risk if not done properly, wouldn't seem to result in a huge benefit, especially after factoring in the decrease in climb performance.

With a previous plane, I powered back to 25/2500, but that was more because it was LOUD (T-34, with augmenter tubes and a 2-blade prop) and didn't climb like an RV-10 . Just my $0.02.

Full rich on take off. At 500 feet above, I note the EGT on a cylinder, ex 1305 dF on #4.
Dial prop back for noise say 2500 RPM.
WOT.
Pitch for cruise climb and dial the mix back every 1000 feet or so to keep the EGT at that noted EGT (1305)
This allows for the best power available for all of the climb.
Cruise altitude say 7 - 10K: Prop back to 2300. WOT.
Not much to pull on the mix. Dial it out to known FF ex 8.5GPH for that altitude and speed required.
Flame

I find it interesting that nobody talks about field altitude as part of their leaning procedures. Let’s get that right before we start talking about lean of peak in climb, or at least as part of that discussion.
I think we are so spoiled with RV’s performance that leaning for best power before we take off at higher elevations just doesn’t seem to make the discussion.
I guess my primary flight training was from a different syllabus than other folks.
Push the red knob in and put the power to it!

You throttle back at 200 feet? It seems if you think that you are being nicer to your engine and helping it last longer, I feel that you are doing exactly the opposite by doing that! It seems that most engine failure happen during a power change, are you ready to have the engine come apart at 100 to 200 feet? I would touch NOTHING until you are at pattern elevation or in a position to handle an engine out situation. Then if you want the busywork of throttling back to climb at 25 square, have at it. I think most of us leave it firewalled all the way to altitude, maybe trimming off some RPM for noise, but at the expense of power and climb rate. Some Continental engines come to mind where there’s a time limit RPM (2 minutes or 5 minutes?) but the Lycoming can run 2700 all day every day to TBO and beyond.

Edit: here’s an example of an engine failure on takeoff right after he reduces RPM.. wonder if it would have lasted just a bit longer if he didn’t touch anything? For sure it would have still blown up, but maybe it would have lasted a few hundred feet more?

Last edited:
You throttle back at 200 feet? It seems if you think that you are being nicer to your engine and helping it last longer, I feel that you are doing exactly the opposite by doing that! It seems that most engine failure happen during a power change, are you ready to have the engine come apart at 100 to 200 feet? I would touch NOTHING until you are at pattern elevation or in a position to handle an engine out situation.
Doesn’t sound like you have done any formation flying.
Any real data to back this up?

I’m going to lean for best power on the ground or during my take off roll, and then lean conservatively through my climb as long as CHT’s are under control.

I don’t lean to LOP but see no reason one shouldn’t.

You throttle back at 200 feet? It seems if you think that you are being nicer to your engine and helping it last longer, I feel that you are doing exactly the opposite by doing that! It seems that most engine failure happen during a power change, are you ready to have the engine come apart at 100 to 200 feet? I would touch NOTHING until you are at pattern elevation or in a position to handle an engine out situation.
You do have DATA to support this statement? (I was going to say, myth, but will hold off for now)

Doesn’t sound like you have done any formation flying.
Any real data to back this up?

I’m going to lean for best power on the ground or during my take off roll, and then lean conservatively through my climb as long as CHT’s are under control.

I don’t lean to LOP but see no reason one shouldn’t.
Yes, I understand doing element takeoffs mean working the throttle on the takeoff roll. That’s an incurred risk that we take for formation takeoffs. No I don’t have any real data to back up that engine failures occur on power changes, maybe that’s just an old wives tale, but on my non element takeoffs, I don’t pull throttle or prop (or even turn off the fuel pump) until I’m in a position to handle an engine failure.

You do have DATA to support this statement? (I was going to say, myth, but will hold off for now)
No I don’t have and data to back it up, that’s why I stated that I ”feel” that you are not doing the best for your engine. I thought it was common knowledge that it’s safer and better for your engine to get to pattern altitude as quickly as possible. I thought there were people smarter than me that said reduced power takeoffs expose the plane to a more risky situation for longer, while reducing the power also isn’t the best thing to do at 200 feet.. but I guess I’ll shut up and let you do you I guess.

Im just curious who teaches to throttle back and dial back RPM at 200 feet? Even in the airlines, we wait till 1000 feet..

If you meant full throttle sea level takeoffs I’d hardly call best power mixture ‘conservative’. Every POH I’ve ever seen calls for full rich in this circumstance, for detonation margin.

I don’t think you’re totally wrong. There are a lot of things we were schooled on in the day that were holdovers from times gone by. Not all of them apply now, but it doesn’t mean they were bad advice.

If you meant full throttle sea level takeoffs I’d hardly call best power mixture ‘conservative’. Every POH I’ve ever seen calls for full rich in this circumstance, for detonation margin.
Of course. Still hung up on folks talking about leaning with no discussion of field elevation. They kind of go hand in hand in my book.
Carry on…..

25 squared has a rich history, but no science behind it. Full power, rpm back to 2400/2450 at 500/600’ (after the turn on course) I leave full power unless temps start approaching 400 F. LOP after cruise altitude. Even at low altitudes. Climb @120 IAS.

Attachments

• IMG_5550.png
    IMG_5550.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I am still learning. How do you lean for best power on the ground?

Thanks

Thanks

Me too!
First off, anything below 3000’ (arbitrary I know), full rich and simply lean on climb.
Higher airports it’s a bit of guess work and I do it as I’m rolling. Basically start rich then lean until you feel some power loss then enrichen. You will feel the power increase, then I enrichen a bit more. Watch my EGT’s on climb and if they’re near my target, for me in the mid 1300’s, I’ll keep them there. If they’re falling, I lean, rising, enrichen. Is it right at “best power”? I don’t know but it’s close and I’m on the rich side, making good power.
You can do this on the ramp but applying full power isn’t something I want to do until I’m on the runway.
If I need some more cooling, which is rare for my set up, I’ll enrichen more and sacrifice some power.
It’s always risky hangar flying on these forums. Mike Busch published an article many years ago if you can find it. He walks through the procedure better than I. There are others out there also.
Some argue you can do this at any altitude. I sat with a Gammi engineer years ago at OSH and he told me it would be really hard to detonate a small bore Lycoming even if you tried. Not sure I agree, but I can’t say I hear a lot of detonation stories.
What we don’t want is to read about somebody that was high, hot, and heavy and wasn’t making best power. This happened recently at a 5000’ elev. runway in Central Oregon. Hot day, local pilot, been in and out of there many times and it was ok. This time, he didn’t switch to both mags on his mag check and wasn’t leaned properly. That was just enough. He got airborne but didn’t make it out of ground effect. If he had leaned properly, one mag would have been enough.

A quick internet search came up with an article from the CAA, the New Zealand FAA.
It had this to say. “Statistically, the first reduction in power after take-off is the most common time for a mechanical failure to occur. ”

Here is the link:

We’re pretty spoiled with RV’s. Great power to weight ratio.

I try to operate my machine “by the book” which, I built it, it’s my book!
My Lyc manual suggests leaning at above 5000’da for takeoff but, they also state to look at your operating manual. My operating manual? Not very flushed out in this regard, just in my head and experiences.

Given the performance of most of our machines, you can probably do most whatever you want and get away with it. If you deem the risk of making power adjustments is greater than any gain, that’s not wrong. Just remember, some day you might be in a different machine with different performance profile.
For most, that doesn’t matter much….. but if you learn good skills, they apply across the board.

I find it interesting that nobody talks about field altitude as part of their leaning procedures. Let’s get that right before we start talking about lean of peak in climb, or at least as part of that discussion.
I think we are so spoiled with RV’s performance that leaning for best power before we take off at higher elevations just doesn’t seem to make the discussion.
I guess my primary flight training was from a different syllabus than other folks.
Push the red knob in and put the power to it!
I did. I said that I leaned at 2-3000 MSL.

Thanks
Spent the night at Rawlings WY (KRWL) with field elevation at 6,817 MSL. The takeoff in the morning, I added full throttle for takeoff and my constant speed prop did not get full RPM, as the airplane was moving forward on the runway, I screwed the mixture back till it came to full RPM. This took a few seconds and added 200 to 300 feet to my takeoff roll.

With a constant speed prop, I just lean by feel. Typically at mag check RPM, I can screw back the mixture just enough to see an RPM rise. On the takeoff roll, if I do not get takeoff RPM, I will lean or richen to get the RPM up else abort the takeoff.

Those POHs are ultra conservative. THe FAA certification tests runs these engines at redline temps for 100+ hours at full rated power and best power mixture. Any detonation beyond light (i.e. no damage) results in failure. They are ultra conservative because many planes have no instruments and even fewer pilots understand what they are telling them.

Me too!
First off, anything below 3000’ (arbitrary I know), full rich and simply lean on climb.
Higher airports it’s a bit of guess work and I do it as I’m rolling. Basically start rich then lean until you feel some power loss then enrichen. You will feel the power increase, then I enrichen a bit more. Watch my EGT’s on climb and if they’re near my target, for me in the mid 1300’s, I’ll keep them there. If they’re falling, I lean, rising, enrichen. Is it right at “best power”? I don’t know but it’s close and I’m on the rich side, making good power.
You can do this on the ramp but applying full power isn’t something I want to do until I’m on the runway.
If I need some more cooling, which is rare for my set up, I’ll enrichen more and sacrifice some power.
It’s always risky hangar flying on these forums. Mike Busch published an article many years ago if you can find it. He walks through the procedure better than I. There are others out there also.
Some argue you can do this at any altitude. I sat with a Gammi engineer years ago at OSH and he told me it would be really hard to detonate a small bore Lycoming even if you tried. Not sure I agree, but I can’t say I hear a lot of detonation stories.
What we don’t want is to read about somebody that was high, hot, and heavy and wasn’t making best power. This happened recently at a 5000’ elev. runway in Central Oregon. Hot day, local pilot, been in and out of there many times and it was ok. This time, he didn’t switch to both mags on his mag check and wasn’t leaned properly. That was just enough. He got airborne but didn’t make it out of ground effect. If he had leaned properly, one mag would have been enough.
I did my primary training at an field elevation of 4500ft. The flight school usually kept the tanks full and I'm not light. On a warm day if we didn't lean for best power that poor tired little C-150 may not have gotten out of ground effect lol.
I was taught to leave the throttle set after the mag check. Then watch the tach while you dial out the mixture. As soon as the rpms quit rising and start to drop dial back in a couple turns. Can you not use the same process with a constant speed prop at 15-1700rpms?

I don’t touch anything until I’m 1000 AGL. The reduce rpm to 2600. Once I reach 2000’ I lean just enough to see the EGT’s start to move and continue to lean as I climb so the EGTs are at the bottom of the scale.

I wouldn’t do the big pull until desired altitude is reached.

Last edited:
I did my primary training at an field elevation of 4500ft. The flight school usually kept the tanks full and I'm not light. On a warm day if we didn't lean for best power that poor tired little C-150 may not have gotten out of ground effect lol.
I was taught to leave the throttle set after the mag check. Then watch the tach while you dial out the mixture. As soon as the rpms quit rising and start to drop dial back in a couple turns. Can you not use the same process with a constant speed prop at 15-1700rpms?
That sounds like what Gary described previously. I would be at 1800 and that’s a fast taxi, if I need to taxi after run up. I think both methods get you rich of peak but still near best power.
I like your and Garys approach as it gets you close before you’re rolling but I want to be leaner if I have a long taxi.
Good stuff regardless. As long as we’re getting there it’s good.
Mike Busch is well thought of but not saying “his” is the only right way.

That doesn’t guarantee that the mixture is where it needs to be at WOT. I prefer to have an idea where your EGTs would be if you were talking off at sea level, full throttle, full mixture. Take note where your EGTs are, doesn’t matter which one, just pick one. Then if you are talking off from a high DA airport, start your takeoff and if you can glance over at the EGTs, dial back to that same value. That should be safe. Another technique is to go high enough where your power is less than 65% so that you can slowly explore the peak EGTs without fear of hurting anything.. at 12,500 or so, you can’t burn up anything and you can really take your time. After you get good info on your peak, you can know that taking off you should be 200 degrees or so ROP.
A third technique is when you are planning a 6000 MSL airport, next time you are climbing up from your home field and maintaining the mixture in the climb, take a look how far back the red knob is while you are passing 6000 feet. That’s probably a good starting place for your takeoff from that 6000 MSL field. Then you can fine tune it to your normal EGT target as you climb..

A third technique is when you are planning a 6000 MSL airport, next time you are climbing up from your home field and maintaining the mixture in the climb, take a look how far back the red knob is while you are passing 6000 feet. That’s probably a good starting place for your takeoff from that 6000 MSL field. Then you can fine tune it to your normal EGT target as you climb..
I'd think the method I described would get you a better starting point than eyeballing a knob from memory days later. With all the new parameters being monitored by the new avionics toys I'm surprised no one has started putting an O2 sensor in the exhaust. You could treat every flight like a dyno tuning session.

I'd think the method I described would get you a better starting point than eyeballing a knob from memory days later. With all the new parameters being monitored by the new avionics toys I'm surprised no one has started putting an O2 sensor in the exhaust. You could treat every flight like a dyno tuning session.
Setting the best power mixture from 1500 to 1700 rpm doesn’t mean that it’s still best power at WOT. I mean it’s probably in the ballpark, but then having an idea where your EGTs need to be and tuning from there is better.

FWIW this is my procedure:
When at a low altitude airport (close to sea level) I takeoff at full rich.
When at about 100ft I look at the EGT of one cylinder and note the temperature. Lets say 1,390 degrees but the exact number is not important.
When at about 1,000ft I lean until that same cylinder EGT is back to that temperature.
Every 1,000ft I lean back to that same temperature until at cruise altitude.
At cruise I lean until engine rough, then enrichen until the engine runs smooth again.
Yes, you have to have at least one EGT sensor to do this.

WHY?
Our engines run best at a specific fuel/air ratio. At sea level, full rich normally gives that ratio and a corresponding EGT.
As you climb the air gets thinner, the fuel/air ratio gets richer with a corresponding drop in EGT.
If you lean in climb to that EGT, you return the mixture to the fuel/air ratio you had while taking off full rich at sea level.
Leaning until engine rough, then enrichening until the engine runs smooth again is the approved Lycoming method of leaning at cruise for over 60yrs.
BTW, if you lean until engine rough, then enrichen until the engine runs smooth again you will notice that the EGT will be close to the temperature you had at the sea level full rich take off and during the climb.

:cool:

Last edited:
You throttle back at 200 feet? It seems if you think that you are being nicer to your engine and helping it last longer, I feel that you are doing exactly the opposite by doing that! It seems that most engine failure happen during a power change, are you ready to have the engine come apart at 100 to 200 feet? I would touch NOTHING until you are at pattern elevation or in a position to handle an engine out situation. Then if you want the busywork of throttling back to climb at 25 square, have at it. I think most of us leave it firewalled all the way to altitude, maybe trimming off some RPM for noise, but at the expense of power and climb rate. Some Continental engines come to mind where there’s a time limit RPM (2 minutes or 5 minutes?) but the Lycoming can run 2700 all day every day to TBO and beyond.

Edit: here’s an example of an engine failure on takeoff right after he reduces RPM.. wonder if it would have lasted just a bit longer if he didn’t touch anything? For sure it would have still blown up, but maybe it would have lasted a few hundred feet more?
Bingo! I was taught in piston, and still use in turbine aircraft "reduce HP/thrust when your ready for the engine to fail" Of course, now I'm flying a tree-holer, so an engine failure is just an "abnormal" procedure, but still.... good habit.

No I don’t have and data to back it up, that’s why I stated that I ”feel” that you are not doing the best for your engine. I thought it was common knowledge that it’s safer and better for your engine to get to pattern altitude as quickly as possible. I thought there were people smarter than me that said reduced power takeoffs expose the plane to a more risky situation for longer, while reducing the power also isn’t the best thing to do at 200 feet.. but I guess I’ll shut up and let you do you I guess.

Im just curious who teaches to throttle back and dial back RPM at 200 feet? Even in the airlines, we wait till 1000 feet..
I was taught many things from my original instructor 40+ years ago and one of them was to not touch any power setting until pattern altitude. For my first airplane (182RG) he transitioned me and told me to never run over square. Need 22 inches manifold set RPM to 2,200. Sounds simple. But that has also changed it seems. I am just asking is there real data (Besides someone just saying there is statistical evidence and not providing the stats) that shows reducing power is asking for a problem? Any NTSB report that sights "Pilot made first reduction in power and engine failed? ", etc. The industry is famous for urban legends and was only asking for real data if it's out there. If not that's ok and I will go with what I "feel" is correct. (From an engineering viewpoint)

Last edited:
BTW, if you lean until engine rough, then enrichen until the engine runs smooth again you will notice that the EGT will be close to the temperature you had at the sea level full rich take off and during the climb.

:cool:
I don’t think so. Assuming a carburetor, the lean until rough, enrich to smooth procedure should put you near peak EGT. But a full rich takeoff has you richer than best power egt - for lower CHTs, more detonation margin. And low egt.
BTW, if I lean and lean my io540 with flow matched injectors, it never runs rough. Just less and less power until it’s not running at all.

I don’t think so. Assuming a carburetor, the lean until rough, enrich to smooth procedure should put you near peak EGT. But a full rich takeoff has you richer than best power egt - for lower CHTs, more detonation margin. And low egt.
BTW, if I lean and lean my io540 with flow matched injectors, it never runs rough. Just less and less power until it’s not running at all.
Notice I said close, not exact, and yes it assumes carb not injection. :)

BTW; my procedure is just my procedure, not gospel. ;)

Last edited:
Some have. I've been running one for 1000 hours already.

If it's really warm outside and I'm climbing hard, an AFR around 12.0 keeps things mostly happy. Above about 6000' or so I can lean it into the low 13's and be okay for the rest of the climb. Cruise sees it come back to the low-to-mid 16's and advance timing to 29 degrees, life is good. I do keep it ROP and 25 degrees for all the climb and don't pull it lean until I level off.

Last edited:
Spent the night at Rawlings WY (KRWL) with field elevation at 6,817 MSL. The takeoff in the morning, I added full throttle for takeoff and my constant speed prop did not get full RPM, as the airplane was moving forward on the runway, I screwed the mixture back till it came to full RPM. This took a few seconds and added 200 to 300 feet to my takeoff roll.

With a constant speed prop, I just lean by feel. Typically at mag check RPM, I can screw back the mixture just enough to see an RPM rise. On the takeoff roll, if I do not get takeoff RPM, I will lean or richen to get the RPM up else abort the takeoff.
I misunderstood, or over understood, this approach. Tried it at several fields above 6k. Worked like a charm. Some adjustment to target EGT’s needed but for me close enough to have good performance at gross weight.
Then, just leaned to target a bit at a time as I climbed. This is easier than Mike Busch’s technique I had been using.
Worked for me…..

I'm curious if some people do the big pull in early climb to get LOP while climbing.

My (RV-10) process is full throttle, mixture rich, 2700rpm on takeoff and initial climb. At 1000' or so, I pull the prop back to 2300rpm, leave the throttle wide open (WOT), and pull the mixture back to 13.1gph or below (<75% power LOP). I run WOT during the entire flight.

My (ancient) research indicated my IO-540 D4A5 power for LOP is: Pwr=14.9*GPH, so 13.1 GPH corresponds to 75% power in my engine.

I am curious how much fuel you might save in a LOP climb VS ROP to 8-10'.
You're climbing slower LOP - so to be fair you need to pick a point somewhere further down the flight path where you will be stabilized at altitude either way, and compare fuel burn to get there. ROP you burn it faster in the climb, but climb faster. LOP you are burning less in the climb, but climbing longer. Personally, I've never tested it but have wondered...

I did a quick LOP climb testing during my phase 1. I did an initial climb ROP and gradually leaned until I was at 4500 ft due to the airspace. I lean out to about 9gph. I then climbed to 7500 or 8500 feet into the phase 1 test depending on the direction. At the fast speed of the RV, the climb from 4500 to 8500 feet took no time at all. I was close to 1000fpm if I wanted to tradeoff forward speed. When at altitude, the cruise speed picked up remarkably fast.

With LOP climbs, just make sure you stay LOP as you keep climbing. It's easy to end up being at peak or even rich of peak if you don't continue to lean out.

Some have. I've been running one for 1000 hours already.

If it's really warm outside and I'm climbing hard, an AFR around 12.0 keeps things mostly happy. Above about 6000' or so I can lean it into the low 13's and be okay for the rest of the climb. Cruise sees it come back to the low-to-mid 16's and advance timing to 29 degrees, life is good. I do keep it ROP and 25 degrees for all the climb and don't pull it lean until I level off.
Has that time all been on the same sensor? Do you run leaded or unleaded? Been wanting to do the same but I’d heard the sensors don’t appreciate leaded fuel.

Has that time all been on the same sensor? Do you run leaded or unleaded? Been wanting to do the same but I’d heard the sensors don’t appreciate leaded fuel.
The sensors are sensitive to lead, I run mostly unleaded 93E10. I've been getting somewhere between 50 and 100 hours of leaded fuel use from the sensors before they die. Takes about 5 minutes to change one out and they cost $40 on amazon. I've heard rumor of some sensors that would have much better life with lead exposure but I haven't found one or tried it.

The sensors are sensitive to lead, I run mostly unleaded 93E10. I've been getting somewhere between 50 and 100 hours of leaded fuel use from the sensors before they die. Takes about 5 minutes to change one out and they cost $40 on amazon. I've heard rumor of some sensors that would have much better life with lead exposure but I haven't found one or tried it.
I confirm the (very) short lifespan of O2 sensors when leaded fuel is used.
I run exclusively 100LL and my first sensor lasted about 15 hours, the second one a little longer before quitting.
I didn't replace the last.
When I go LOP, at cruise and below 65%ish power, I use the EFIS's lean feature and EGT's.
Works fine.
If there were a lead tolerant sensor, I'd maybe put one in, just to have the extra (nice to know) info about the AFR.

I confirm the (very) short lifespan of O2 sensors when leaded fuel is used.
I run exclusively 100LL and my first sensor lasted about 15 hours, the second one a little longer before quitting.
I didn't replace the last.
When I go LOP, at cruise and below 65%ish power, I use the EFIS's lean feature and EGT's.
Works fine.
If there were a lead tolerant sensor, I'd maybe put one in, just to have the extra (nice to know) info about the AFR.
I put a timer on my PLX system that's set for 2 mins after the engine is started. That seems to help improve the life of a sensor when using 100LL. Without the timer was getting about 25 hours or one oil change. Now get 100 to 150 hrs. Others I know have clipped the power lead to the sensor. No data on that method. As riseric states the O2 sensor not really needed but nice to have as confirmation of the lean assist.

Last edited:
Back