What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loose Wings

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
While working ahead on stuff, I completed the wing attach pins and put them in their position. When inserting them, I was shocked to find the fit was very loose, you can actually clunk when pulling it up and down. I tried it in the wing bushing this evening, and found they are quite loose as well. I had assumed this was pretty much a precision fit, don't really want to hear the wings clunking around while flying. Does everybody else have loose fitting pins as well?

Don, I am mystified as to how you could have loose fitting pins. This may sound stupid, but are all the brass bushings in place?:confused:

Ha ha, yep they are in place. Are you saying yours is NOT loose? I have no idea how they will come out when the wings are actually installed, but regardless, I don't like floppy slop in the Jesus pins. I wonder if there is a spec on just how loose they can be.

Pretty normal Don. I added shims to my fore and aft spar sockets to take up the slack, but once you put the gap seal on after paint they are tight anyway.

Build on Don!

Last edited:
I had some slop in my forward spar as well, but it will be nice and tight when you put that seal on. I would check the bushings with the wear indicator just to be sure your bushings are within the wear limits.
Bruce

Measure

You could call tech support to find out the diameter of the pins and bushings and then measure yours with calipers to see if they meet specs. I think that Larry is referring to forward-aft movement of the wing tips.
Does everybody else have loose fitting pins as well?
NO!
Joe

Last edited:
Back