What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loose canopy latch, problem solved.

RayMc

Active Member
I completed my 12 a few months back and have been bugged by the loose latch handle partially latching when I close the canopy necessitating climbing on the wing just to raise the canopy.
I had a few o-rings in the spare parts bin and found one that fit under the handle and gave a little tension to the shaft but in a couple weeks it wore to the point that it did no good.

A couple weeks weeks ago I glued a tiny rare earth magnet to the latch stop and now when the latch is opened it sticks to the magnet... problem solved!
 

Attachments

  • LatchMag.JPG.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • LtchMagWide.JPG.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 202
Good solution after the fact…
The KAI does address this with instructions on adding friction to the handle rotation so it will not change position on its own.
 
For about the first dozen or so times I was in and out of the cockpit the canopy latch had sufficient friction to remain where it was left... until it didn't!

I don't recall seeing that in the KAI.
 
I think the KIA tells you to slightly collapse the tube diameter so it impinges on the shaft to prevent free rotation....

I use a small magnet that works a charm......
 
See page 12 of KAI Section 39. And I too started with rubber washers because I was afraid of over crimping the tube.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    574.4 KB · Views: 83
Careful of the Magnetomer

If you have Dynon avionics, remember that the ADAHRS with the magnetometer is located about 3 ft aft of that location. Check the compass accuracy after installing the magnet.
 
I completed my 12 a few months back and have been bugged by the loose latch handle partially latching when I close the canopy necessitating climbing on the wing just to raise the canopy.
I had a few o-rings in the spare parts bin and found one that fit under the handle and gave a little tension to the shaft but in a couple weeks it wore to the point that it did no good.

A couple weeks weeks ago I glued a tiny rare earth magnet to the latch stop and now when the latch is opened it sticks to the magnet... problem solved!

I’m a little concerned about confusing the magnetometer with those magnets.
Anyone else share this concern?

:confused:
 
thiggins,

Interesting thought, I have not noticed any anomalies in navigating to several different airports since installing the magnet. Next time I'm at the airport I'll go for a ride on the fields compass rose and see if there's any change from the initial check.
I suppose if there is a problem I can change to my alternate idea and use velcro tape with hooks on one piece and loops on the other.
 
I had already painted my canopy frame when I realized I had this issue. I mentioned it to a friend and he suggested inserting a piece of fishing line vertically inside the tube (between the fixed portion that's part of the frame and the rotating portion that you turn). This increased the friction enough to solve this problem for me.

I was worried that squeezing the tube was going to scratch the paint, hence this alternative approach.
 
I’m a little concerned about confusing the magnetometer with those magnets.
Anyone else share this concern?

:confused:

I made a similar modification a few years ago and have not noticed any effect on the Dynon heading. The ground and inflight compass cal was done with the magnets in place. I epoxied mine to the frame however it was not long before the epoxy failed. I ended up mechanically attaching the magnets and have had no issues for the past five years.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
 
I was worried that squeezing the tube was going to scratch the paint, hence this alternative approach.

I had the same concern when my rubber washers lost their effectiveness. I hit the handle shaft with a hammer a couple of times to slightly deform it, which accomplished the same objective as squeezing the canopy tube. It’s performed well.
 
Back
Top