What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looping ground NOT ground loop

NYTOM

Well Known Member
In the process of wiring stereo headphone /microphone jacks. Wiring diagram shows all shielding tied together at the intercom and connected to ground pin in plug. Now the barrel / mounting nut of the jack has continuity with the shielding. If I mount it to the aluminum panel won't that cause the dreaded ground loop?
Should I isolate the jacks on a non- conductive surface?:confused:
Any advice will be greatly appreciated .

Tom, you need to get the fiber washers that isolate your audio jacks. There are two for each jack, one side has a shoulder that keeps the barrel centered in the hole so that it can't touch the aluminum panel. Depending on where you got your audio jacks, they sometimes will be supplied with these washers. If not, they can be obtained from many of the avionics shops such as Aerotronics or Stein.

Brain Fart

Aw thanks Pat, I can sleep now. Trying so hard to avoid interference in my audio I didn't even think of those insulators. I bought the jacks I have from ACS. I see now that they have the insulators on their site and just ordered some.
Thanks again for getting me back on the right track Pat. :)

Would be much better if the jacks simply came the fiber washers, or at least said in big bold letters that you need to also buy the fiber washers... I too learned this the hard way.

The spruce shoulder washers have a really narrow shoulder so don't drill out the hole to 1/2 inch. Its more like 15/32.

I learned this the hard way too. I bought the '4 place jack pack' from spruce and it seemed (at least to me) like maybe only the mic was supposed to be insulated off metal. I had terrible engine noise and I bought some nylon washers from hardware store and made sure no jacks were touching metal and now its super quiet and awesome!

The spruce shoulder washers have a really narrow shoulder so don't drill out the hole to 1/2 inch. Its more like 15/32.

Thank you, good tip & will do.
Probably should have bought from Stein but I hate to bother him with tiny orders, but get the big $$$ stuff from him. :) ACS is just so darn easy and fast for the little "need it right away" things. ;)

Back