What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for some San Francisco local knowledge

Darren S

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm planning a trip in the first week of October with my 12 year old daughter. We've never been to San Francisco so we are just looking to do all the touristy stuff. As with my NYC trip, local knowledge is very helpful when flying in.

I don't want to fly into KSFO so what are the other options ? For NYC I flew into Linden, NJ and took the train to Manhattan and used public transportation.

Are the outlying airports as easily accessible by public transportation or is a rental car the best option ? We want to do the Alcatraz tour so again, better to drive myself or public transportation ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren

San Carlos airport is just south of SFO. You can easily walk to the CalTrain station and get straight into downtown SF. Parking is a major hassle in SF, so you will have to pay to park. A rental car would certainly give you more flexibility.

KOAK or KSQL

You want to fly in to either Oakland or San Carlos. Oakland is much larger, has many rental car facilities, and is easy to access BART via the shuttle. I don't know what the tie-down fees are there, but it would not surprise me if they were a little high. San Carlos has one rental car place, and is a 1/2 mile to one mile walk to CalTrain, which you can transfer to BART. Tie down fees are ~$10 per night, IIRC. I work right across 101 from SQL, and fly in and out of there all the time, so if you need any info, just ask.

It is, contrary to popular belief, possible to fly into SFO. You have to request it, and they have to have an open landing slot, which means typically after 10 or 11pm. The landing fee is about $150. I have no idea what the overnight tie down fee is.

San Francisco airspace is about as complicated as it can get. You have the SFO Bravo that runs into and over two Charlies for OAK and SJC. Add to that Deltas underneath for SQL, HWD, etc and it is VERY busy. You need to know what airspace you are in and where you are going. The best advice I can give you is to call NorCal approach from 30 miles out and request flight following. They'll help keep you out of trouble.

I'm based at Livermore KLVK, 29 nm east of SFO.
You don't say where you plan to stay, so here's a rundown:
As you guessed, SFO is very expensive with landing fee, ramp fee, expensive parking and gas, and long waits for rush hour arrivals and departures.

KLVK is blessed with the best VFR weather in the bay area, and has gps - LPV and ILS approaches if the wx is not vfr. Also the cheapest avgas in the bay area. Public transportation is poor,I'd rent a car (call ahead) unless you are staying in downtown San Francisco. If staying downtown San Francisco, parking is absurdly expensive. Instead pay for a taxi from KLVK to the Dublin-Pleasanton BART station (about 5 miles) and take that to your hotel. Or, if the timing is right, admire my RV10 and then I'll drive you to BART. It's on my way home.

Concord KCCR is another possibility. There is a hotel on the field. BART is about 2 or 3 miles away, it can be walked. Or rent a car.

Reid Hillview in San Jose is a nice GA airport but not close to San Francisco. Enterprise car is a short block away from the terminal.

Oakland KOAK is actually two airports, with the north field a nice GA airport. Class C airspace. Good ILS into the north field. Parking and avgas a bit on the high side. Hotel about a mile away, the FBO may drive you. BART about 3 miles away, taxi or the FBO may drive you.

San Carlos is just south of SFO. IFR is possible but expect delays due to comflicts with SFO traffic. Rent a car or get a taxi up to the BART station to get downtown. CalTrain is close but service is spotty outside of rush hours.

To get to Alcatraz drive to Pier 39 and find parking, tour boats leave regularly. Or, take BART to downtown Civic Center stop, take cable car (expect 45 minute wait) or city bus to Giradelli Square and walk to Pier 39.

A lot depends on where you stay. Let me know your plans and I'll give you more cheap advice.

Bob

Last edited:
You want to fly in to either Oakland or San Carlos. Oakland is much larger, has many rental car facilities, and is easy to access BART via the shuttle.… The best advice I can give you is to call NorCal approach from 30 miles out and request flight following. They'll help keep you out of trouble.
I too think Oakland might be the better choice. As for NorCal, all I know is flying into Reid-Hillview from the northeast, they consistently cut you loose just a few miles from R-H with no handoff to tower. Maybe you'll get better service going into Oakland. I regularly fly from the east over Berkeley, over Angel Island, over the Golden Gate Bridge and then south to Half Moon Bay and never talk to anybody (though I do listen). The point being you don't have to call NorCal and it might well not be much of a help.

SF hotels: I've had good luck with the Joie de Vivre hotels, simple, relatively cheap, clean.

Last edited:
And for touristy stuff:
  • You might prefer taking the ferry from the piers to Angel Island + Sausalito rather than Alkatraz. I've hosted visitors to both and I think Angel Island is nicer - also being able to get an early dinner in Sausalito is nice.
  • Muir Woods is awesome if you like hiking.
  • The food at the cliffhouse is marginal & expensive - go for the view and beach, if you want to eat a little thing while you are there go to the much tastier place across the street.
  • If you want to ride cable cars, you can frequently have a much shorter queue if you get on a couple of stops away from the end of the line.
  • If you want to do any fancy-pants dining, Opentable.com has very good coverage to get reservations. (I can offer recommendations if you have particular things you are looking for)
  • I might be able to loan you a car and leave it at KSQL (depending on schedule)
  • If you are at ferry plaza - very tasty reasonably priced food (and wine) that is 12 yr old friendly is at Gotts.

(I'm based at KSQL. I agree KOAK or KSQL is the way to go if the weather is good - friendly controllers, easy cheezy access.)

Last edited:
ATC

Coming from the north call NORCAL ATC north of Sacramento. They'll provide handoffs all the way into OAK.
Note that once you're talking with ATC you can enter class C airspace, no specific clearance is needed nor will one be offered. However you must have a specific clearance to enter class B and even with flight following it is your responsibility to get and hear such a clearance prior to entering class B. Going into KOAK you can avoid class B pretty easily, just stay below it. For San Carlos it is another story. My experience is that a request to go across the bay from Hayward to San Carlos in class B is approved about half the time. If denied the alternative is to drop below the class B airspace, below 1400', call Hayward tower to go thru their airspace, fly south of the San Mateo bridge, half way across call the San Carlos tower.
Get a SFO TCA chart, it helps.

Awesome stuff guys!!! Thanks so much for the helpful suggestions:). Much appreciated. Should be a great trip.

Darren

San Carlos airport is just south of SFO. You can easily walk to the CalTrain station and get straight into downtown SF. Parking is a major hassle in SF, so you will have to pay to park. A rental car would certainly give you more flexibility.

My hangar-mate just got back from SFO and landed San Carlos; he said it was 'the way to go', only $10 for the train ride after a short walk to the train station :D Rosie

If you DO want to do Alacatraz, pick a date soon and get tickets days/weeks early. They sell out.

Tourist central is Pier 39 and Fishermen's Wharf. Lots of shops, food, and entertainment are there. Don't miss trying the best sourdough at Boudin's. Also, check out the sea lions at Pier 39. They took over some berths years ago and a 12 year old would love them.

If you DO want to do Alacatraz, pick a date soon and get tickets days/weeks early. They sell out.

Tourist central is Pier 39 and Fishermen's Wharf. Lots of shops, food, and entertainment are there. Don't miss trying the best sourdough at Boudin's. Also, check out the sea lions at Pier 39. They took over some berths years ago and a 12 year old would love them.

And half a mile West is Ghirardelli Square for chocolate...:)

I'm not a fan of Fisherman's Wharf but there is at least one worthy exhibit, the USS Pampanito, a WWII submarine. Saw this a few months ago and it was quite impressive: the close quarters, the machinery, etc. Tough duty for sure. Here's the Vans Aircraft connection, a pic of what I believe are the diesel engine EGT gages:

IMG_8068.JPG

Back