What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for some advice for an overnight stop near Chicago

N546RV

Well Known Member
The lady and I will be flying into OSH for the first time this year. I've decided to fly most of the way Friday, get a good night's sleep, and then do the last leg nice and early Saturday morning.

I was kind of leaning towards DKB, but now I'm looking at Dupage and it seems like there are a number of hotels really close to the airport. It'd be especially nice if the hotel was walking distance from the FBO and we could skip needing a taxi or crew car. Rental rate is wet, so gas prices aren't a huge deal, though I still prefer to try to find cheap stuff since it ultimately helps keep my rental rates down.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

:)

Last edited:
Airports

Go to skyvector.com, click on airports and enter the identifier or just enter the entire name. Left side of the nest page will be a satellite view of the airport which will allow you to scroll out to the surrounding area. This will frequently but not always show motel locations as well as restaurants and other businesses.
I think there is one hotel on the airport at Dupage. Dupage has a fairly high amount of corporate jet traffic but there are multiple runways so busier periods are not hard to deal with. The location where I THINK the hotel is will be on the west side of the longest runway.

Dupage

I can't find the one I thought was on the airport, I probably have it mixed up with somewhere else. At least one resort hotel on the north boundary, its looks kind of pricey. Several others within two miles to the west. LOTS of restaurants and a couple of malls close to the airport. Main St runs more or less east west on the north airport boundary and most of the motels and restaurants are west of the airport near main st. City is St. Charles, Elgin is also nearby.

C09

Has crew cars and hotels are a mile and a half down the road with restaurants. Fuel is reasonably priced.

KDPA

The hotel is on the north west corner of the airport a pretty easy walk. The hotel is Pheasant Run which is a bit resort oriented. It has a golf course, pool, couple of restaurants, comedy club etc. Yes it is on the pricey side but you could probably work a price reduction on the room. I was at DPA last Friday at noon and it was absolutely dead... nothing moving. The weekends usually pick up but it is pretty quiet otherwise. They have a GA parking area but if it is quiet they might let you park near the main terminal building. They are remodeling the restaurant but are supposed to be open soon.
Good luck and maybe I'll see you at OSH,
Paul

Baraboo

Not a good choice for that weekend because of a special event and also the hotels tend to be full of tourists. Reedsburg and Portage are both options, Hartford has a special event, if you are planning within 100 miles of Oshkosh best to phone ahead and find out what is going on. Lots of gatherings for special events such as group flights. Portage is usually pretty quiet, not a lot of motels in the area but there should be rooms. Motels are close to airport and at least some of them will pick you up. Dupage is a much better choice if you want a nice selection of restaurants.

Baraboo

Just want to clarify, Baraboo would be fine for a fuel stop, but the hotel situation will be iffy. Expect a fair amount of traffic. Hartford will probably be very busy.

What about Joliet? Avgas is reasonable, and there are several hotels within a quarter mile. They're in the middle of resurfacing their runways, but I just gave them a call and they expect to be done next week.

I've used Dekalb (DKB) twice. Yes, it does require a taxi to get to a motel, but the phone numbers for several taxi companies were posted on the FBO door last year. Also, the taxi driver came back and picked me up at 4:30 AM to get me to the airport before sunrise.

Dekalb has nice long runways, no tower, plenty of ramp space and reasonably priced fuel. Both times I arrived after dark, so I have no experience with the FBO.

In a 172, the flying time from DKB to RIPON is 1:10, just right to take off after sunrise and get to RIPON by 7:00.

If the motels and restaurants were closer, it would be a no-brainer. Are there other airports that fit your need? Probably. Would I stop at DKB again? Yes.

Let us know after Airventure what you did. We'd like to know.

Any experience with Iowa County KMRJ

Will be coming from Tulsa and thought I would do longer first leg, planning on Sat AM. Looked at Portage also.

KRYV

KRYV Watertown, Wisconsin. Motels and good food in walking distance. If you go there eat dinner at Steak Fire. Good food at a fair price. Very nice people at the FBO. Short flight to OSH.

If you're coming from the east/southeast KVPZ, Valparaiso IN just south of the lakeshore is a good stop. The local EAA chapter serves lunch all day for transient aircraft headed to OSH and they've been doing it for the last 30 years.

Back