What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for RV-6 transition training

bobtheflyingsquirrel

I'm New Here
Patron
Hello all,

I recently bought an RV-6 (N155DR) and am looking for some transition training in an RV-6 or RV-7 before I start flying it on my own. I've got a good chunk of time in a Super Cub, but it's pretty clear to me from about an hour in the plane that it is an entirely different animal - much more responsive and much faster, but that also means that it commands a great deal of respect.

I'm in the Dayton area but willing to drive out to a neighboring state to fly with somebody if that is more convenient.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I recently bought an RV-6 (N155DR) and am looking for some transition training in an RV-6 or RV-7 before I start flying it on my own. I've got a good chunk of time in a Super Cub, but it's pretty clear to me from about an hour in the plane that it is an entirely different animal - much more responsive and much faster, but that also means that it commands a great deal of respect.

I'm in the Dayton area but willing to drive out to a neighboring state to fly with somebody if that is more convenient.

Thanks!
Are you planning to insure your new aircraft? If so, the insurance company will likely have some minimum transition training requirements. I use and recommend Gallagher agency. They advertise on this forum. Give them a call.
If you are driving to someone else's airplane, ask them if they have the waiver ("LODA") to give transition training for hire in their plane. There's no cost, just paperwork. But the insurance to give dual training is not cheap. Always better if you can get trained in your own plane.

Are you planning to insure your new aircraft? If so, the insurance company will likely have some minimum transition training requirements. I use and recommend Gallagher agency. They advertise on this forum. Give them a call.
If you are driving to someone else's airplane, ask them if they have the waiver ("LODA") to give transition training for hire in their plane. There's no cost, just paperwork. But the insurance to give dual training is not cheap. Always better if you can get trained in your own plane.

I have it insured with IAT; they require 4 hours of dual in an RV-6 and 8 hours of RV-6 time total before I can carry passengers.
I agree that it'd be best to train in my own plane, but I also recognize that its current location (50 miles east of Dayton) is a bit remote and thus may be inconvenient for people.

Back