What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for hangar advice

rleffler

Well Known Member
I’m in the process of relocating to Surprise, AZ. It appears that all the airports in the metro Phoenix area have a four year wait for a hangar rental and a two year wait for a covered tie down.

I’m curious what people relocating to the Phoenix do with their aircraft when they move?

I found a couple for sale, but I’m not in a position to shell out $0.5M or more for a hangar.

I did find a rental that’s about an hour away out in the middle of the desert.

I’m targeting a March/April move. I need to find a home for my RV-10.

Your problem is not new. It's been that way for sometime at most places that people find desirable to live. I'm based at KLVK which I do not think is a great place to live (too warm in the summer) but it is in the Bay Area, so when I started my build (at home) I got on the waiting list and 3 years later, made it to the top, more or less just in time for mating the wings. What do people do? Immediately get on the hangar waiting lists(s). See if there are any informal (e.g., likely illegal) sub-lets. Make friends with people who have hangars, and might be willing to let you rent/borrow them for doing oil changes, annual condition inspections, etc. Get a good cover for your plane at the tiedown while you wait for the hangar list to move.

Hey Bob,
Tired of all the crappy weather out here!!!
When I was looking for a hangar when I moved to Michigan I went to the airport EAA meeting. There will be people there that know everything about the airport and everyone there. It will be worth a trip out to attend a meeting or two.

I found an instructor and friend too! Good luck on your move and finding a place for your plane.

Back