What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for an RV-12 "Mentor"...

After 30+ years flying the certificated variety, am a COMM/INST/CFII, I have finally decided to build my own....an RV-12. Am getting ready to order the kit and prepare the shop/tools and have a variety of questions that I'd like to ask someone who's either built the -12, or is well in the process......let me know who's out there that I can bug with a few "dumb questions".....

RV-12 help

I have one RV-12 built and flying and finishing up on a second one. If I can be any help, give me a call or email me @ [email protected]

828-557-2446

Jim Olson
Blairsville, GA
RV-12 sn. 120141 N126BJ flying
RV-12 sn. 120004 working on.

Mykitlog.com/jimolson

More than happy to help. See my blog, if you can fly out to Davenport, IA, would be happy to show you my 12 and take you up for a flight.

Dennis,

I'm putting the finishing touches on my 12. It will be flying by next spring at the latest. My profile is very similar to yours, except I'm retired.

Bug away!

John

Hey Dennis

Welcome aboard ! Curious - what is your serial number ? I trust in the upper 400's ?

John Bender

There are

no dumb qyestions. as a first time builder i asked this forum a LOT of things and am still asking. Where are you located?

Wayne 120241/N143WM (3.5 hours)

Appreciate all replies

Thanks Gents.....great response....will keep everyone's contact info that was provided as I suspect these postings roll over rather quickly! Couple of quick questions since I'm having to "tool up" for this first time build. Not looking to overdue it with the tools budget, but want to have the "right stuff" to make my build time productive......(so feel free to suggest "nice-to-have" vs "gotta -have-it"...)

1.The Preview Plans suggest a bench grinder, and it looks like "deburring" is most effective with a Scotchbrite wheel....do you suggest a variable speed or just a cheapie 6" single speed 'HF special'?

2. 1" belt sander required/suggested ???

3. Suggested size of an air compressor to use with Pneumatic Riveter....leaning toward the HF 3 HP, 10 Gallon, 115 PSI Air Compressor, capable of 5.6 CFM @ 90 PSI, or do I need more....looking to do most of the prep and assy in my basement

4. Was gonna go with the Cleveland RV-12 tool kit as suggested by a friend who is building an RV8 (significantly different construction for him, but he likes their tools, service, etc....) HF has a lot of the tools for alot less, such as the metal-cutting snips, but I suspect there's a quality difference ????

5. Suggestions on what type of hand drill work best......leaning toward a nice small lithium battery-type with > 1200 RPM, but open to suggestions from experience

6. Finally, I need to assemble a workbench.....would like to do that right the first time......appreciate any suggestions or pointers on size and construction of that....top surface, etc?

Thanks again in advance for your suggestions! BTW, I live in S.E. PA, just north of Valley Forge Park and currently fly a Cardinal based at PTW! And yes, I'm gonna track down the local EAA guys, but as far as I know, there are no RV-12 builders nearby and that's the input I most value right now in the prep stage.....den

1) Single speed is good enough. You just want the wheel spin fast.
2) I didn't use a belt sander.
3) More than enough for a pneumatic squeezer but small for a pneumatic drill (which I didn't use) or spraying paint. I initially had the same size but my compressor overheated when I used it for spraying paint. I now have a 25 USG / 15 CFM. Also the noise level of the bigger compressor is lower. In my opinion don't try to save some bucks here.
4) Last revision of page 03-02 (05/24/10)
I bought the tools from Avery. You need some extra stuff. The edge forming tool from Cleveland works very good.
Besides that I often use the shophead gauge, bolt gauge and a must have is a vixen file.
5) The higher the RPM the better. I have a small 12V 1400RPM.
6) Anything you like. I have a big 8X4 foot table and two tables 4X2. Works well but takes a lot of space. The two small tables are mostly used for reading the plans, bench grinder and bandsaw (which is maybe not really necessary but is very handy to separate the parts). On top of the table I use the grey stuff you put under carpet (at least in the Netherlands).

Have fun!

Last edited:
1.The Preview Plans suggest a bench grinder, and it looks like "deburring" is most effective with a Scotchbrite wheel....do you suggest a variable speed or just a cheapie 6" single speed 'HF special'?

2. 1" belt sander required/suggested ???

3. Suggested size of an air compressor to use with Pneumatic Riveter....leaning toward the HF 3 HP, 10 Gallon, 115 PSI Air Compressor, capable of 5.6 CFM @ 90 PSI, or do I need more....looking to do most of the prep and assy in my basement

4. Was gonna go with the Cleveland RV-12 tool kit as suggested by a friend who is building an RV8 (significantly different construction for him, but he likes their tools, service, etc....) HF has a lot of the tools for alot less, such as the metal-cutting snips, but I suspect there's a quality difference ????

5. Suggestions on what type of hand drill work best......leaning toward a nice small lithium battery-type with > 1200 RPM, but open to suggestions from experience

6. Finally, I need to assemble a workbench.....would like to do that right the first time......appreciate any suggestions or pointers on size and construction of that....top surface, etc?

Thanks again in advance for your suggestions! BTW, I live in S.E. PA, just north of Valley Forge Park and currently fly a Cardinal based at PTW! And yes, I'm gonna track down the local EAA guys, but as far as I know, there are no RV-12 builders nearby and that's the input I most value right now in the prep stage.....den

1. "HF special" is fine. Get the one with the light attached to it.
2. I don't use a sander, doing everything with the 6" Scotchbrite wheel and the small 1" wheels in a die grinder.
3. 10 gals would be too small for me. As I use a die grinder for deburring I chose a 25 gals, also good if you want to run other tools like a nibbler, paint gun (for priming), drill.
4. Probably a nice tool kit, I went with the Avery kit and didn't regret it. Nice service and good quality tools. You'll find a thread here about the rivet squeezer from Avery which seems to be of arguable use to some folks. I'm fine with it.
5. I use the standard cheap Ryobi battery drills that I had but I don't use 'em much for the RV. Countersinking is where they come in handy for me. For drilling I use a Sioux pneumatic drill which I love! I might sell some of the tools I used but not that drill!
6. That very much depends on your space. I built a table of 8' by 4' and set it pretty high to around 46" I believe (would have to measure to be sure). The reason was that I wanted to have a high work surface when doing all the work on small parts and avoid working bent over. Neck and back really appreciate this tall table.
For work on larger objects like the wings or the tailcone I used and use sawhorses.
For the wing alone it'd be handy to have either two similar tables on coasters to put next to each other for a long, even surface or to use a rather large table that would support the skeleton for assembly and skinning. I got two identical folding tables at Target for that job and aligned them next to each other. That way I can put them away after the job is done and I have some extra tables for bbq'ing. Oh, I should mention though, I build everything at home, no hangar. You might like to have an extra table just for all the machines you're going to use, drill press, bench grinder, 6" steel vise, etc.

Thanks gents!

How ' bout a drill press.....if you didn't have one, would you get one for this build, and why?

Also appreciate your opinions on the "priming thing"....wasn't planning on air spraying, but seems to be some confusion on how much and where to prime.....where necessary would prefer the "spray can" variety.....

Any other power tools, etc that you would highly recommend for a novice builder outside of the benchgrinder, drill thats not incl in the Avery kit?
thx,
den

I did use

the 1" belt sander a lot afer spending a couple of days with Rick Gray. Cut away some of the back support so there's some "give" to the bely and you can do a LOT of the deburring with that tool. A hangar accopant had built one large work table and I built another from the shipping crate materials. Built the tables so they're supported by folding plastic sawhorses and are large enough to hold a complete wing asembly. Building both wings side-by side at the same time saves a LOT of head-scratching. Once the wings were done I tore down one table and used the wood to build a second smaller workbench.

Wayne 120241/143WM 3.5 hours

You don't need a mentor...

... You need dozens of them and you have them at hand right here on the RV-12 VAF forum as demonstrated by the multiple answers you already got!
You may need knowledgeable builders to come to your workshop for advice that cannot be provided online, for this the best way is to become an active member of your local EAA chapter. Otherwise here are a few things I have learned as a fresh new builder:
- Use the search tool on this forum: there is a mine of information and this will prevent you to ask questions that have been addressed at length in the past
- Another source to mine is the Builder's web sites. Unfortunately there is no official list; this is why I tried to build one and published it on my builder's log at: Vieille Burette (http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/2010/07/list-of-rv-12-builders-sites.html)
- Create a web site/Blog to document your project. This is a good way to communicate about your problems with other builders as this forum is limited for pictures sharing. To chose the one most appropriate for you, check the list of builders site and see which you like best. Personally I like Bloggers.com because of its ease of use and because it is used by several other builders from my list, always a good sign.
Welcome to this great community!

You're right!!!

Thx Jean-Pierre, and all others....needed to spend a few nights reading "the forum" and looking at all the blogs and logs...the understanding is starting to come together, and the support for a newbie builder like myself looks nothing shy of incredible.......my head is spinning but not from LACK of info.....let the project begin......let the learning curve start.....will keep in touch!
den

How ' bout a drill press.....if you didn't have one, would you get one for this build, and why?

Also appreciate your opinions on the "priming thing"....wasn't planning on air spraying, but seems to be some confusion on how much and where to prime.....where necessary would prefer the "spray can" variety.....

Any other power tools, etc that you would highly recommend for a novice builder outside of the benchgrinder, drill thats not incl in the Avery kit?
thx,
den
A drill press is really nice to have. Drilling out rivets in small parts is easier and cleaner, it can be used for countersinking too.

I'm am NOT going to comment on the primer question. We had enough wars about that one. Check the search engine and make up your own mind.

A real power drill was helpful (not the battery kind) when drilling and tapping the tie-down AEX pieces. Other than that I just use pneumatic tools and with HF they're so cheap, get them all ;-)

Tools

I am a little way into the empennage, and I bought the Isham Kit.

I built two EAA tables and added wheels, so far so good and they are sturdy /heavy.

I have found the need for several quick clamps, bought a nice set for 24.99 at Lowes of 6" and another at Home Depot for 24.99 that had 2 12" and some smaller.

I bought an air drill from Home Depot for 24.99 (Yes it is cheap but have not had any issues with Husky tools when treated right i.e. oiling daily after use.) It is lighter and faster than a battery drill. Besides my Rigid weighs about 400# :)

I have a little Skil iXO palm size electric screw driver and picked up a $4. titanium deburring bit for it at Lowes, makes quick work of the holes. I have decided to debur all holes since they look like they were punched with a butter knife. Easy way to tell is run a cotton glove over the line of holes, if fibers stick to the holes there is a nice burr.

I also built an easel out of left over lumber from the tables, it came out huge but holds my plans (11x17 edge binder from Staples for 19.99). Put chalkboard paint on the bottom half for notes and the cutaway firs nicely on the top. Also on wheels.

Also Built the Wing Sling from CH601.org it holds the long skins nicely out of the way.

Lighting is also key, I added two more fluorescent lights over the work area, I primarily work in the evenings due to the AZ heat (thus the requisite swamp cooler and 100 cu ft beer fridge which is another reason to keep it light :)

I am priming all areas of metal to metal contact and machined parts, as for the rest I will do like the big boys and trust the alclad. I will prime the boat interior and may leave it that way, the Olive Drab is cool :)

I want this thing as light as possible so I don't have to stop eating BBQ.

Here are some pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/RV12SP/10112010?authkey=Gv1sRgCMOD3Nm8nLOd3gE&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Lighting is also key, I added two more fluorescent lights over the work area, I primarily work in the evenings due to the AZ heat (thus the requisite swamp cooler and 100 cu ft beer fridge which is another reason to keep it light :)

Chris,

forget about all those toys but I LOVE THAT FRIDGE! :D

Chris,

forget about all those toys but I LOVE THAT FRIDGE! :D

Thanks Chris, :rolleyes:

You just started the "Frig Wars" on VAF. :D

Anyone top that frig? Unless you have a TV built in to your shop frig don't even try to top that thing. My wife looked over my shoulder and said; "I WANT ONE!"

I bow to the current "King OF RV Building Frigs". Chris, you are da man!

Don't EVEN tell me it doesn't work and you are using it for storage shelves. :mad:

Last edited:
Funny you ask,

The Fridge is down for its annual right now, small leak in the condenser, have to pull it out of the top from the inside and braze it but should be back up as soon as a new tank of R134 arrives.

looking for other builders

I will be starting a Rv-12 the end of week 10/23 I was looking for any RV 12 builders in area around princeton NJ

I will be starting a Rv-12 the end of week 10/23 I was looking for any RV 12 builders in area around princeton NJ
Jeff....getting my RV-12 kit delivered this week.....live near Valley Forge, PA and fly out of PTW....sounds like we'll be building our kits in tandem, albeit probably going thru the same learning curve at the same time.......guess Big John will be our closest experienced builder.....hope to get started mid-Nov. Keep in touch....den

Fridge - ok

The heat that that thing puts into your garage may heat the garage this winter! No free lunch!!! But I love your 'fridge'.:cool:

Rv 12 mentor

Den,

I have completed the vertical stabilator. Now working the rudder, though the learning curve is not too bad so far

Jeff

Big John

Hey Big John,
Didn't realize you were so close, I am 20 east of Rochester, working on wings and getting ready to start fuse. I would love to see your project some time.
Dan D.;)

Come on over!

Dan,

Do you have an airplane flying now? Come on over. I'll pick you up at Fulton County (NY0).

Call me first, not always here. 518-774-4898.

John

Hey Dennis - -

If you lived in a warm climate, I might offer to come to your place and work cheap for a while ! The snow in Iowa could just stay in place then !

John Bender

Big John

Sounds good John. We will look for a decent weather weekend and call ahead. Looking forward to seeing your 12.
Thanks,
Dan D

Location in Pa.

I'm in the Lebanon, Pa. area and building an RV-12. Not to far from you. send me your e-mail address and lets talk. I'm leaving for Florida on Thanksgiving so respond soon.

Pa Location

I live just north west of you in Lebanon county. I'm building a RV-12 (E-AB).
Started the engine on Thursday for thr first time. If you want to get together let me know. I'll be leaving for Florida on Thanksgiving and wont be back until April.

Back