What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking For Advice On Trip To Charlotte

SuperDave

My wife and I are planning a trip from Tampa to Kitty Hawk/First Flight and then to the Charlotte area on May 30 & 31 in our RV-8. I would greatly appreciate advice from anybody that is familiar with the area that has some good advice for where to keep the plane overnight and get a rental car around the Charlotte area. Local knowledge can be so valuable. Looks like we are going to be too early for the Triple Tree fly-in on the way back.

Concord is just NE of Charlotte by about fifteen minutes and has plenty of nice accommodations. If you want a tiny strip and grass parking, check out 8A6, it's a great little field and fun to fly out of. Enterprise will pick you up!

I second the vote for Concord. It is a nice place and they have rental cars.

Wilgrove is a bit of a dump.

On the south side, I would strongly recommend Monroe.

Rock Hill, SC and Gastonia have crazy high fuel prices. However, EAA 309 has a big hangar at Gastonia and you might be able to stuff your -8 in there for a reasonable fee. Google them and ask.

West of town is Lincolnton. Great airport and people.

North of town is Lake Norman, which is also a good airport.

Rental cars will be a challenge but that can be solved with a phone call.

Good Advice

Thanks for the info! I was leaning toward Concord but without local knowledge it was just a hunch. Concord it is!

Concorde can be expensive. You could look at Rowen county just up the road. The manager there is a great guy and they have a new community hangar I suspect they would put your aircraft in. Very reasonable prices. Fuel is 5:19 a gallon. Concorde is 6 a gallon and ramp fees are high.

George

A little north of CLT

I am close to Winston- Salem at 8A7 (Twin Lakes). Can arrange hangar space with my -4 or another hangar. We have several RV's and a Rocket on the field, and I live on the airport. 100LL is 5.00/gal. I will be participating in a small fly-in at INT on Saturday, but otherwise around. Send me a PM if your interested and I can give you more details on what's around and transportation.

Back