What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for advice F-704E

According to DWG 11 there are two holes to be enlarged to 1/4" in the aft center section bulkhead assembly.

Due to poor aligning during the drill process I have enlarged one of the holes to 0.256" vertically and 0.269" horizontally.

See the picture of the hole with the AN4 bolt inserted for reference.

2s1ka3n.jpg

I already contacted Vans for their advice.
This is the answer I got:

Quote:"I don't think replacing the entire bar in your home shop is a practical thing -- the likelyhood of
causing more damage than you're fixing is quite high, and getting the close tolerance holes
for the wings perfectly aligned is almost impossible.

I spoke with engineering about this today. Their input:

do NOT drill the hole to 5/16

Genuine Aircraft Hardware (GAHCO) sells reamers and "oversize" NAS bolts in some sizes.
If you could ream up to the first oversize (about .015 over) and use the bolt, that would be ok.
You'll have to contact them for availability.

Failing that option, just use a stock 1/4 bolt in the hole as is. We can't quantify the loss of
strength, but it will be less than if the hole's made larger." quote end..

Although I'm somewhat happy with the answer I still have options to chose from:
1. Leave as is
2. Enlarge to 0,265" and use a oversize bolt (but this will not make the hole completely round
3. replace the 5/8" bar (according Vans web store $41.05, but not drilled nor anodized.

Any thoughts on this?

Good news

I got an email from Vans yesterday.

Quote:
"just ran a quick calc on the RV-7 wing
/ center section (was the builder this
morning a 7 or an 8?) Use an aero gross
of 1600lb. The 7 has a larger span and
therefore is more conserv. Overall the
stress level would still be acceptable
with a margin at 5/16."
Quote end

This is very good news, they seem to build in quite some margin for these stupid builder mistakes.. :rolleyes:

same problem

i had the same problem on one side the bolt would not line up with the front side hole. I'm not sure that my ddrilling of the hole to 1/4 was the root cause of the problem

Back