What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for actual RV-9A purchase prices

Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Hi,
I'm paying an arm and a leg for property tax on my 9A, which is assessed at what is in my opinion an unreasonable value. I've sent the assessor numerous trade-a-planes showing more reasonable prices, but they want to see actual sale info(!) I've tried to tell them how unreasonable this is, but got nowhere...

So, if you bought or sold a 9A, if you could reply, PM or email your purchase price, your real name, and a brief equipment list (a few sentences would be enough), I would greatly appreciate it! [email protected]

Thanks!
Paul

Point out to the assessor that airplanes NEVER sell for more than the advertised price. In fact, in today's economy, they often sell for much less than the advertised price. Your assessor has his/her head up and locked if s/he doesn't accept that.

Point out to the assessor that airplanes NEVER sell for more than the advertised price. In fact, in today's economy, they often sell for much less than the advertised price. Your assessor has his/her head up and locked if s/he doesn't accept that.

Yes, I tried all sorts of arguing but to no avail. I could take them to court, but I'm hoping that playing along, and the kind assistance of VAF, might be less painful.

When I got my first bill they had looked at Trade-A-Plane for their base 65K. I protested the value and made them come look at the airplane. After handing him my shoe box of receipts he lowered it to 43k. This was for my 6a built in 1997. Good Luck

Mile

I did something very similar. Also, I poor mouthed my airplane with its sad little wooden prop, the engine I rebuilt myself, and a paint job I applied in my garage. In addition, I showed the tax assessor an article from the local paper showing me giving Young Eagle rides in the airplane.

Finally, the assessor caved and asked how I wanted the airplane valued. ;-)

Or buy mine for $130K, then you'll have a purchase price to show :).

Please advise what these taxes are that you folks have to pay in the States, thank goodness we do not have it here in SA and please I do not want to open a can of worms.
We only pay a 14% vat on the import plus another 10% on the value or close to that.
About $12 000.00 on an a/c of $75 000.00 purchased in the USA.
After that zero.

I am shocked - is this property tax applied just in CA? Is it applied to everything you own?

I thought we had it bad with VAT of 17.5% when we buy stuff. But after we have bought the plane or other toys there is zilch to pay anyone other than the usual annual, insurance and hangarage.

I am shocked - is this property tax applied just in CA? Is it applied to everything you own?

I thought we had it bad with VAT of 17.5% when we buy stuff. But after we have bought the plane or other toys there is zilch to pay anyone other than the usual annual, insurance and hangarage.

Bob, the property tax is the revenue department's way of collecting an annual tax on our airborne vehicles. With automobiles we get hit with the tax every year when we buy the license plate. But aircraft don't have yearly license plate renewals, so the property tax is our annual "gift" to the state's budget. The trick is to have the airplane assessed at an advantageous and reasonable value so the yearly hit is tolerable.

That's the way to do it...

Assuming you are the builder, why don't you show them your actual invoices? I would think that they would be less that market value.

bob

Before I say they "can't" tax you on your hard work and labor, let me just say they shouldn't. I used my reciepts and that did the job here in Washington.

It depends on the state and the county where the plane is based. In North Carolina, we get hit with yearly property tax on cars, trucks, boats, trailers, planes, etc. in addition to the yearly license fee (income tax, sales tax, service taxes, etc. and yes, there is talk of adding a national VAT as well.).

Some states set the value and rate at unreasonably high levels and others at zero.

In the county I live in, there are only two GA airports left and most of the people who are based at those two airports are trying to move to a different county to avoid the crazy high property tax where the yearly property tax on a $100,000 airplane is just under $1,300. (1.2973 per $100)

Rubbing it in

In New Mexico the yearly aircraft fee is based on weight only. My old Schweizer 1-26 was $6.00 a year, the RV is $17. Each of my cars is $66.

The huge drawback was that the state used to require (although few did it) that a sticker be affixed to the aircraft. They still send the sticker but don't have that requirement anymore.

Back