What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for active EAA chapter in D/FW area

wrongway john

Well Known Member
I ordered my RV-4 kit on Monday. Let the self doubt begin. I?ve got more butterflies than a 100 lb opponent going up against Mike Tyson in his prime right now. If it doesn?t go away soon, it?s liable to drive me to drinking. :D

I?m a EAA member, but my area hasn?t had a chapter here for decades now so the membership is pretty much worthless to me unless I can find a decent one within 150 miles of my area. I would like to find one that has some RV activity going on, ideally an RV-4 or anybody just starting on the empennage of any of Van?s kit. Wouldn?t mind at all helping out on another?s kit either, just to learn something, but will build mine in my own shop that I already have. By active, I mean a chapter that actually has some building activity going on; and not spending all of the time on social activities such as lunches and what not. Prefer something on the Westside of the D/FW area, since it?s only a 90 minute drive from my place, but will consider a central area in D/FW too if there is plenty of Van?s aircrafts being built. PM me any time or get in touch with me here if you can recommend a good chapter in this area. I?d like to hear from ya.

Thanks, John

John,
EAA Chapter 168 has many builders. RVs and others.
We meet in Farmers Branch on the northwest side of Dallas on the first Tuesday every month. We also have a "fly out" on the Saturday following the meeting each month, and a "newsletter gathering" on the last Tuesday.
We would love to have you join us.
972-784-7544

chapters

I'm a member of Ch. 983 in Granbury, which certainly fits your description:
http://www.eaa983.org
although it is fairly active socially, as well, including one or two fly-ins a year.

There's also a very active chapter at Hicks in North Fort Worth:
http://www.eaa670.org
By active, I mean a lot of building activity and RV activity in both of these chapters.

There are several other chapters on the EAA website in the area (and one in Abilene), but these two and Mel's seem to be the most active for what you want.

Last edited:
EAA 983

Very active chapter for all types of planes. 20+ RV's on the field. (0TX1). Check out our web site. Google EAA 983. Meets 2nd Sat each month @ 10 AM. That said Feb. is on the 20th since Lyc. is putting on a special presentation. Send me a PM as I will be in WF tonight and I will call you.

Mel, Mike, and Gary, thanks a lot you guys. Maybe there is hope for my project after all. All of these locations sound good to me. Just glad there is plenty of activity in the D/FW area. This helps get rid of some of these butterflies.

Help

wrongway john,

Not an EAA Chapter but you have a lot of info near you. Drive south east on Hwy 287, or fly to Hicks T67. There are usualy several RV builders in my hanger. www.RVCentral.us It ebbs and flows but we have a lot fo RV activity here most any time.

You are welcome to come visit and pick up building tips any time. Avery Tools is on this airfield too.

Last edited:
EAA 670

EAA Chapter 670 meets at the Rio Concho Cafe on Hicks Airfield (T67) on the third Wednesday of every month, hey!, that's tonight. Meeting starts around 7pm, they usually start showing up early for dinner and chat.
I know there are several RV owners/builders in the chapter, not sure if anyone is working on a 4.

wrongway john,

Not an EAA Chapter but you have a lot of info near you. Drive south east on Hwy 287, or fly to Hicks T67. There are usualy several RV builders in my hanger. www.RVCentral.us It ebbs and flows but we have a lot fo RV activity here most any time.

You are welcome to come visit and pick up building tips any time. Avery Tools is on this airfield too.

I'm going to take you up on that Jay. Thanks. And no problem on not being EAA, just as long as there is plenty of RV activity, that?s all that matters to me. I hope to catch you or some of you there when the weather warms up a tad. Hicks is actually the shortest distance to my place. I plan on dropping by a few of these EAA chapter actually that others have posted, and may joining a few. That way I don?t bug the heck out of any particular one of ya with all of my questions. :D

EAA Chapter 670 meets at the Rio Concho Cafe on Hicks Airfield (T67) on the third Wednesday of every month, hey!, that's tonight. Meeting starts around 7pm, they usually start showing up early for dinner and chat.
I know there are several RV owners/builders in the chapter, not sure if anyone is working on a 4.

Some 15 years ago, I bought a bunch of tools from Avery, they are a class act, and glad they are still around Hick's airfield. Don't think Jay was there then, but glad to hear Avery is still around. I bought a RV-6 kit at the same time. I just stared at it for nearly a year only spending a few hours on the tail section, not really knowing what to do before selling it. I?m hoping with the internet, this forum, and so much activity in the D/FW area, things are going to be different for me this time. Fortunately, I held on to my tools, and I'm not getting any younger, so figuring it's now or never.

I?ll try to make the next meeting. I?ve been busier than a set of jumper cables at a poor man?s funeral the last couple of weeks with preparing my taxes this year and a few other things, but that will all be winding down soon. Meanwhile, just continuing to gather tools and what not, and getting my shop ready for the 4. Looking forward to talking to most of ya soon.

Thanks to all again who have replied.

John

Does EAA 670 still meet on the 3rd Wed of the month? I checked the website but it "has moved" to an undisclosed location.

I was wanting to visit this month if it is still active.

Thanks!

EAA 670

Does EAA 670 still meet on the 3rd Wed of the month? I checked the website but it "has moved" to an undisclosed location.

I was wanting to visit this month if it is still active.

Thanks!

Sean,

EAA 670 has been meeting at the Colonial Restaurant on N Main right across from what used to be the Sandpiper Inn. They're considering moving back to Hicks now that the Beacon Cafe has opened but you might want to call Ben Morrisson, 817-309-3959 or email Ben at friendben at cdibb.com

Back