What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a replacement for my EFIS

I had a Dynon D-180 on my previous plane and now have a MGL Extreme on the current one. I like the Dynon better even though it's old and the MGL is current, but they're both still newer than your Blue Mountain.

If you don't want to deal with rewiring everything, they have the EFIS on eBay starting at $500.

You are thinking well if you are ditching the Blue Mountain. Do it and you will never look back. Don't even consider buying a salvageable used unit. The Greg guy who started Blue Mountain was brilliant but had some flaky ideas about wiring and installation and abandoned customers before ironing out the systems.

If you plan on keeping the airplane choose between Dynon, Advanced, Garmin or GRT. Stay away from MGL with it's complexity and mid-80's microwave oven buttons.

If you plan on shorter term ownership of the airplane or want to take care of your family if they have an estate sale, go Garmin. I hate to say it but it makes a huge difference on resale value due to market perceptions. It's not fair to the competition but buyers have spoken and Garmin stuff is a big deal to them. Hopefully that will change over time.

You will probably want to do a complete panel re-do as it will lead to a cleaner, more reliable and functional panel. I find it easier to start over than try and salvage existing wires and try to figure out what the last guy did. Even if the last guy was me.

The BMA EFIS was not reliable for me. I ended up replacing it with a GRT HX EFIS which has been reliable. As stated above, get rid of the BMA.
What model BMA do you have? They had multiple size units. Post a pic of your panel.

If it’s the original G3 Lite, you will be limited to units that mount through, or
Over, a normal 3 1/8” instrument hole, or you will need to do some surgery to your panel.
I replaced mine with Dynon and never looked back. I sent my Blue Mountain parts and pieces to Stien. He had some customers needing parts to keep limping those systems along at the time, but that was long ago.

Last edited:
Back