What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a CFII with G3X/GTN experience and availability

samgaddis

Hi all,

I'm ready to start my IR in my RV-14 and would love to find an instructor familiar with the G3X and GTN650 to train with. I've already passed the written exam and have about 25hrs of simulated instrument time from 15 years ago when I thought I had more time and money to fly than I actually did. Happy to be considered as starting from scratch though.

The dream would be to find someone who'd be willing to do at least a few days or even a week of intensive training at a time. I'd fly to wherever they are (based in central Texas) and stay in a hotel. Sort of like one of those 10-day IFR courses but with a bit more flexibility so it's not quite so intense.

Anyone have a CFII to recommend or just thoughts on the idea?

Hi all,

…. I've already passed the written exam and have about 25hrs of simulated instrument time from 15 years ago….

Did you mean the written was passed 15 years ago? If so, it’s expired, you’ll need to re-take. If it’s recent, is the cfii who signed you off for the written a possible candidate?

Hi all,

……or just thoughts on the idea?

The 10 day method is just what it sounds like, a ten day programmed learning class, not unlike ‘cramming’ for a final exam in high school or college. It’s designed to get you to pass the test. No matter what method you use to get the rating, it’s important that you commit to continuing to fly in ifr, so your skills don’t erode. But, I personally think it’s more important for those who went the 10 day route. Just like cramming for the final, it won’t stay as well in your long term memory without reinforcement.

To clarify, I took the written in the last year, but my instrument instruction flight hours are from 25 years ago.

Regarding the 10 day approach and ongoing proficiency - my desire to do a “DIY” 10-day as opposed to one of the courses is due to a feeling that I’ll learn and retain more by doing it in batches versus cramming it in 10 days. Maybe 4 days on, 4 off, repeat. Or any other configuration really depending on what time the instructor has.

And definitely I understand that proficiency comes from regular practice after the rating.

A friend used Gatts (gatts.org) in Manhatten, KS in his G3X equipped RV-10. He found them knowledgeable and helpful in G3X usage.

No need to limit the criteria to just G3X/GTN experience. A CFII with G1000 knowledge will do just fine with a G3X/GTN combo and I’ll go further to say that other brand of EFIS or only GNS or GTN experience will work too. I got my IR behind a G1000 and my plane has a non-touch G3X and a GTN 650 and both systems have similar functionality and capabilities.

Back