What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Longeron structural question at gearbox

Junglepilot

Well Known Member
When I installed the gearbox top plate over the longeron I used cherrymax rivets.

Now I am finishing up the top skin install and the segment of the dimpled topskin that lays over [the side of] that longeron area on each side is a well known tough rivet area. Many use the CR3214-4 (1/8" shaft with smaller 3/32 flat head for dimple).
2009.12.15_-_RV-8_-_Gear_Tower_Skin_Attach_With_CherryMax_CR3214-4-4_Pop_Rivets__2__774.jpg

I seems the edge distance rule shows it should be safe to use the larger 1/8" rivets in both areas. But could that significantly weaken that area with cherrymax 1/8" rivets in that small longeron section on BOTH the top and side?

Interested in opinions specifically from any designated examiners.

Sandy

Last edited:
Longeron rivets

Have you tried solid rivets in this area ? Did mine with a little help ,I think there were more difficult rivets elsewhere .
Tom

No need for Cherrymax after all

Took a pilot/builder friend of slighter stature and smaller hands to the hangar yesterday and and we knocked them all out with his small hands and a few sizes of tungsten bucking bars I had.

Sandy

Cherry's

I used the Cherry Max with no regrets. I have used them in other hard to reach places as well.

Back