What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Longeron Sharp Downward Bend

boom3

Well Known Member
I've spent quite a bit of time with these longerons and don't want to scrap them on this last bend.:eek:

I believe I should clamp my vice 1/4" or so aft of the 28 1/4" line so the center of the bend ends up right at 28 1/4". Does this sound reasonable or did Van's already factor that in? I can confirm the bend angle with the side skin, but it's tough to see exactly where the longeron will end up front to back at this point.

I may be splitting hairs here.

Thanks!

Don't fret it too much. Within about 1/8" for the bend location will be fine.

I fretted over this for a while, but found it to be pretty straight forward once it was done. If you back off to far, all that will happen is the longeron will bend slightly early. A couple of passes with a file on the 704 uprights will allow the longeron bend to fit correctly.

I live in Federal Way and just flipped my -9 fuse. If you want to take a look, send me a PM. I'll be around all day Sat.

When I bent mine, I recall placing the same 1/4" extra space to the vice jaws from the ideal bend point. Came out fine.

Back