What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Longeron misalignment

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
When I clamped the longerons to the side skins I noticed a problem with the downward bend from the center section to the firewall. It matches the skin at the point where the bend starts and at the firewall attachment points just fine. There is a slight bow just after the point where the longeron starts the downward bend and you can see the top of the longeron angle is about 1/16 above the skin. This blends back into the top of the skin in about 8 inches past the start of the bend. In the picture the magic marker line on the right is where the downward bend starts and the other one that looks like an arrow is the worse case, 1/16 up. I already drilled some holes at the firewall attachment and also behind the center section so if I try to reshape the longeron now the firewall holes might not line up. I'm wondering if this will cause a problem later when I install the panel attach angle and outboard sub ribs. I'm guessing the top skin holes will be off by a 1/16 to the side side skins in that area. Any advice?
Thanks in advance
http://www.jimsairplanes.com/images/DSCN2025.jpg
http://www.jimsairplanes.com/images/DSCN2024.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you can push it into place as you drill and cleco it to the skin. I doubt the alignment at the firewall will change noticeably.

Reshape the longerons if you can

Make the longeron fit the skins as close a possible. Other parts attach to the canopy rails which attach intern is attached to the longeron. So if the longeron is out of position it will cause other problems.

I don't believe you will have an issue at the firewall attach if you fix the longeron problem.

Best of luck,

I think I have figured out the problem. The vertical angle of the center-section is touching the longeron and won't let it go down to it's proper position. When Steve said I should be able to push it down into place and then drill it I got to thinking why I couldn't do that. No matter how hard I pushed down on the longeron it wouldn't move and then I saw what was holding it up.
I am going the file a little clearance in the center section upright angle and I bet the longeron will drop into place.

FWIW: I used George Orndorff's method of bending the longerons and it worked like a charm. Was no big deal at all.

Thanks for getting me headed in the right direction.:)

Back