What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Longeron frustration

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the input, guys. I used Andy's "bend, don't beat" approach on the second longeron and it was a lot easier but still produced the same problem-- bending produced a twist and a bend in the other plane-- untwisting reduces the bending. Both longerons now fit the canopy base "template" pretty much within the 1/16 tolerance, with the right canopy base overhanging the longeron and skin by 1/16 or a bit more at the center (maximum bend). With the firewall, vertical frames, and shelf behind the instrument panel all clecoed in place and the longeron fitting well atd the rear end (where it fits under the flat plate) I have to pull both longerons in 1/4 to 3/8 inch to match them up to the upper firewall at the front. Attaching the side skins will provide a way to do that, but is that going to be a problem?

After having the same problem with both longerons I don't have any confidence that making another set will produce any better result. Is this pretty standard (the final fit) or has everyone elsa been able to make longerons that fit perfectly. are flat on top and don't bend up or down? So far i haven't found anyone with an arbor press (and the knowledge to use it) so I'm pretty much restricted to the caveman appraoce.

Thanks again!!

Wayne

Wayne. You should be commended for sticking to it! Your longerons will be just fine. I found tying them with a string adjusts them exactly where I needed them before match drilling and riveting. I'm confident you can handle it!

The worst is now behind you! Give yourself a pat on the back, step back and look at the progress you made! You just manufactured and finished a major structural component to your airplane!

Well done! Build on!

Last edited:
Back