What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Longeron Bending

tsneidin

Well Known Member
Time to bend the longerons. I followed the instructions and made a cut out template to use as a guide for the bend. Got the first one pretty close to the correct bend according to the template so I grabbed the F-721B-R Aft Canopy Deck to test the fit. Not even close. Am I missing something - seems like the full scale diagram 17 curve should match the F-721B. Mine is not close at all. Do I bend to the template or bend to the aft fuselage deck?

Todd Neidinger
RV-9A Fuse.

tapped it to the floor

i tapped my template to the floor and bent exactly to it.they fit perfect. if i did it again i would have double bend locations . instead of every inch or whatever it would be maybe every 1/2 inch. but they came out real nice any way. just think it would be easier that way. when you put the 721 decks on there they should overhang 1/32 then when you install the side skin you can file a minimal amount off. (very little if bent correct)lay the longeron on the floor so it isnt flexed at all and see if the 721 fits it. good luck.

Last edited:
Check the canopy deck against the template. I kindof thought the same thing on one of mine until I noticed that I was comparing at the wrong position.

To expand what Scott said, the deck rail covers the straight section forward of the bend and only part of the actual bend. I was confused at first too.

Back