What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOE'08 Pictures

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Wish I was there

Great pictures Doug. Looks like you a have a few excellent candidates for the monthly calendar in those Friday sunset shots. ;)

I have some pictures up

LOE 2008

DSC03874.jpg

http://n5lp.net/LOE08.html

Larry, thanks for another well written LOE summary. You do such a nice job on these and I always look forward to you photography.

Sorry Janie and I could not attend this year but hope to see many of you in the near future.

Cheers,

db

Thanks, Larry!

Another enjoyable write-up, Larry. Thanks. And, a big thanks for your weather sniffing services, that helped many of us find the safest and best route home on Sunday.

little red flags and a tire iron

Larry,

Your story about the keys left in the rental car was interesting and fun to read but left me wondering, which was more usefull, the little red flags or the tire iron? Was this tire iron used to modify the window glass? If so, wasn't it windy driving back without a windshield? :D

John

...which was more usefull, the little red flags or the tire iron?...
They were both necessary. The wire of the little flags was too thin to force past the weather stripping. In fact originally the flags were dismissed as being useful (too short and too thin) until the minds continued to work. One person judiciously increased the door to car frame gap by prying with the tire iron while another person maneuvered the flag in the traditional way over the lock button. Quite an inspiring example of teamwork, really.

As for using the tire iron in a more direct way, I don't know if they had the full insurance.

What I am curious about is how the radio antenna rod was going to be used. I had the impression it was going to act as a "slim jim" but I don't understand how that was going to work.

Antenna

Larry,

I was going to slide the antenna between the door and frame, just as we did the little flag wires.

Once inside, move the antenna toward the front of the door, near the windshield. Next, use the end of the antenna to press the unlock on the power door locks button. Works great for doors that don't have the little pull knobs like we eventually used to open the door.

Fun times and great pics you posted, thanks!
Phil

plan for the antenna

Hey Larry - I was on the "save-Jay's-butt" team... The original idea was to use the antenna to hit the power unlock button. Once we got the wires, they were too short for that job. The plan was modified to bend the wire in a loop, get it down between the door and jeep frame, then grab the unlock knob (post with a ball on top) and lift up on it. Worked like a charm! Even though his butt was saved, everybody still has the right to remind him for the rest of his life!

LOE

Hey guys:

Don't be too hard on Jay, He let my wife and I keep our RV-8 in his hangar overnight as we stopped in at Hicks on our way to LOE via California. Thanks again Jay!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

LOE - Success through Innovation

There we were, in the middle of nowhere!... Jay's confirmation; "Yep, they are on the dash."

P1010432.JPG"

The rest is history...

P1010428.JPG

P1010426.JPG

P1010429.JPG

Come on you guys

Doug and Larry's pictures are beautiful but I can't believe there were only two cameras taking pictures at LOE. Come on share those pictures for us LOE wanabetheres! :D

Back